1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Qualcast 35 / Suffolk Punch - Petrol mowers

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Suffolk Punch, May 28, 2015.

1. Suffolk Punch

Suffolk Punch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, I've just signed up and hoping some of you lawn guru's can advise me on my mower.

I had been using a rotary mower for the last few years but I fancied stepping up a bit and have recently bought a Suffolk Punch (rebranded Qualcast 35S). My question is regarding the roller on the front of the mower.

As you'll probably know, there's a small plastic roller on the front and a large heavy roller on the back. This is great for getting stripes on the lawn but I feel that the front roller is bending some of the grass over and then its getting cut by the blade but at various heights due to being bent / folded over by the front roller.

I've had the cartridge out and adjusted the blade so its perfect (just skims the lower blade and no more) so the problem isn't the blade height/adjustment. I've had the height set at 2 and 3.

I cant help feeling that it'd be better if it had 2 small wheels on the front rather than a roller.

Has anyone else noticed this with their 35s / Suffolk Punch mowers?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,480
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Suffolk Punch. :) Sorry, I can't help you with your mower, I think you would be better posting this in the 'Tools and Equipment' forum as it's more likely to be seen there, or you could ask admin to move it for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,425
      Welcome to GC @Suffolk Punch :sign0016:

I've moved this to the Tools and Equipment area which will hopefully see you get more views and advice.

• Like Like x 1
      • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
        Ratings:
        +857
        The suffolk punch mowers are extremely reliable well built machines.

I had one until recently that I completely rebuilt. I like doing things like that as tinkering in the workshop is my favorite pass time.

The Suffolk punch Qualcast 35S and many others are exactly the same machine. They are the basic no frills part of the range so are lower priced.
        On the higher end machines usually badged "Atco" or Allet there is a rake along the front lower bar which has a line of fairly fine wire tines which when adjusted just right actually lift the grass to present the grass perfectly ready for the upper set of blades ( The cylinder) to chop it off across the lower blade.
        I have an Atco Balmoral now which has this rake or row of tines and they really do work very well ! Having had the same mower as you have and the Atco I can say there is quite a difference in the quality and uniformity of the cut.
        I would imagine it would be quite easy to get a rake/tine bar from either a mower dealer or perhaps ebay and retro it to your machine.

Any specific questions on any parts of these machines just ask. I have stripped them and re built them down to the last nut and bolt !

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1