Qualcast Mower

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Quovadis, May 31, 2015.

1. Quovadis

Quovadis Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all , I have rescued this mower from certain death ... it was in terrible condition ie broom handle holding the handle together , cellotape on HT lead washing up bottle for fuel tank etc

ANWAY.... have rebuilt it and have had the engine running , BUT as this is one of the newer machines , I am not familiar with the carburration and governer setting AND how /where the throttle cable connects on this unit . Can anyone advise how to do this ? Any links to enable me to view this / parts for this engine would be very useful , as would sight of a user manual
    Also need to know the correct setting/sequence for the choke lever , as this is what I am using to turn the engine on and off as a temporary stop gap
    I have searched the net , but there seems nothing/ very little about this engine and carburetor
    If I can master knowledge I think I might do a posting to help others

ANY information on this type of engine from a service /repair aspect would really be useful

Kind regards

Please see photos attached

Attached Files:

2. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
    There should be plate with a clip that holds the cables position. It really should be self explanatory how the cable goes and setting up the governing is also very easy as the cable position has some variance and is easy to move to gain the ideal setting,

It would be prudent to strip the carb and clean it out really well. This again is a very easy job to do and you should not require gaskets if you are careful when taking it apart.

Many owners store the machines with fuel in the tank or carb. Fuel goes off quickly unless it has a stabiliser added to prevent it from happening . It is best to run the engine till the carb and tank are completely empty at the end of the season.

On machines that are older and have metal tanks rust can form which makes its way down into the fuel filter ( If fitted) and into the carb. So another reason why a carb strip is best done now if you are having problems.
    In addition the washing up liquid bottle would have deteriorated fast allowing much contamination of not only the fuel but the bottle its self all of which is now likely gumming up the carb.

There are many variations of engines fitted to these machines so the actual set up of cables and makes of carb varies but the same rules apply to all of them .

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
  4. Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
    Ratings:
    +857
  5. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hi Quovadis
    Did you get anywhere with identifying the engine ?. I was given the Qualcast Suffolk Punch 35s which looks like yours . I have been trawling the net and found nothing on the engine , no numbers on engine or casings so am struggling .
    Thanks
    micky0121