Quercus x turneri - size reduction

Discussion in 'Trees' started by SimonRomaine, Jul 31, 2020.

1. SimonRomaine

SimonRomaine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, my first post here...

Nearly 20 years ago I planted an oak in my front garden, a "small" Turner Oak. Since then it has grown into a true beauty. It is now around 8m tall and has a luxuriant canopy spreading around 10m diameter. I would dearly love to let it continue unchecked but there are now two issues. Firstly, the spread has seen it extend over my neighbour's front garden, not that they object. Secondly, now that it is mature and flowering and fruiting annually it's dropping a lot of sticky goop onto our cars. For 3 months each year it's almost pointless cleaning them!
    So, what do I do? Live with filthy cars or try a fairly drastic pruning? Around 10 years ago I vaguely remember reducing the size of the tree, an act which I think removed ALL foliage at the time. It has since thrived. I have also removed lower boughs in a formative way from time to time, maintaining walking space beneath the canopy. I worry that I was just naive and very lucky during that last potential massacre.
    How safe, for the tree, would it be to repeat such an exercise? I really don't mind the height but need to get the diameter down by at least a third.
    Any knowledgeable advice very gratefully accepted.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    As far as I know turners oak is a massive tree,seen a couple in the local park that must be 70 or 80ft high with the kind of spread you can imagine.

I think its a classic case of wrong tree wrong place, I've done it myself and if you want to keep it you just have to stay on top of it, literally, every other year probably.

I dont think you will kill it, but you might just make it grow faster.

If possible I'd take out entire branches rather than just kind of clipping it like you would a hedge.

But I'm no expert.;):smile:

3. SimonRomaine

SimonRomaine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply. I fear you may be right. Wrong tree for the location in the first place. That said I have two options. Take it out, which will inevitably kill It! And leave a huge root stock to remove from a paved driveway. Or, cut back the spread, not worry about the height, and hope it survives well. I've surveyed it today and sawing out the 5 lowest boughs, plus a little trimming, will give merge desired space. Maybe buy me another 10 years

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      Always difficult decisions, but it is a big un eventually.:smile: