1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Kestrels/Sparrowhawks

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by lollipop, Jun 12, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello,

The massacre of the innocents has begun. This is probably the one thing I hate about being in the garden. The cackling of the magpies, the frantic squawking of the parents and the pained squeaks of the chicks as they get taken.

But this morning something different was taking chicks, I think it was a pair of sparrowhawks because I have never heard of kestrels taking chicks. They were smaller than a magpie but it was very early about 6.30am and I had just got out of bed and enjoying my morning cuppa on the patio so my eyes were still watery from sleep. Plus I think kestrels hunt alone don't they? I don't know, but it was awful, the predator was flitting from branch to branch, the head of the chick bobbing about in it's claws. I know they have their own chicks to feed, just don't like it.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,928
    Its not nice but its nature Lolli.

I was sitting in the conservatory a few weeks ago then I heard a
    large thump.

I got up quick and looked outside, there not 6ft away from me was a kestrel, on the paving with a sparrow in its claws, I saw the eyes of the kestrel and the eyes of the still alive sparrow.
    Both seemed to look directly at me for what seemed quite a while, but was only a split second.

I remember thinking what do I do now, but luckily the choice never came my way.

Within a second the kestrel was off, taking the sparrow with it.

I guess a nest full of sparrow chicks later died, due to losing one parent.

But that how nature is, ..........cruel.

3. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday, we had 4 x Robin chicks in a nest outside the room where I am writing this. This morning, not even the Mother could be seen, let alone the chicks.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Nature is brutal. I've seen and heard many things I'd rather have lived in blissful ignorance of. It's how it goes though. Humans do it to, we've just became super efficient at it. Instead of chasing down a wild animal and risk injury to ourselves as we snatch it, we just pay someone else to farm it, slaughter it, package it and ship it to us instead. (I should point out I'm not a veggie, just in case anyone thought I was preaching).

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It is that I feed those birds, and I watch for nests being built and stuff. Sentimental I know to get attached to the sound of chicks chirruping away above you as you tie in your roses and stuff. And having blackbirds squawking at you because you are within 10ft of their nests. Saying that I have only just become used to squelching greenfly with my fingers so it's barmy as well, at least the birds of prey are taking for food.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    sounds like a sparrow hawk claire.

Magpies dont get a look in in my garden, the .22 is always ready for them....... absolutely hate them!

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Cats are the problem where we are next doors has birds regularly yesterday it was a wood pigeon young last week 2 fledgling black birds and a starling best of it is my neighbour asks me to remove the bits cause she's squeamish,I recommended she put a collar on her cats with a bell preferably 12" diameter.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I haven't ever seen my cats take birds, they both take mice and just ignore birds. I can't say they wouldn't but I have seen them ignore blackbirds that have hopped within a few feet of them. The younger one Poppy has some beef with the squirrels that come in the garden though. She watches them and then storms the tree it's in. Quite funny considering there is no way could she actually catch one. Although she is still less than a year old, maybe someday when she's in her prime.

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    This is always an awkward subject. As the others have said, nature is cruel. We feed the birds and have many different varieties, big and small, in the garden. I don't have to chase the magpies away as we have a pair of collared doves that are extremely agressive to them - they are quite friendly with all the other birds. We see hawks catching some of the birds and earlier in the year one caught a pigeon on the lawn and spent half an hour eating it whilst ignoring us on the patio. It's not a pleasant sight but there is nothing we can do. I'm not a bird expert but I should think that there could be problems if there weren't natures checks and balances in this way.

We are also owned by a cat but he has some funny ideas about who is allowed around the garden. Birds around the bird feeder and on the lawn are perfectly safe. He gets on well with the pheasants but doesn't like squirrels or rabbits. Any bird that goes into the greenhouse (where he lives) is considered fair game. He regularly brings us rabbits and squirrels and the other week he came back with a four inch fish! I'm still trying to find out whose pond it came from so I can tell them to protect it better.

These things aren't pleasant but you have to accept them even if you don't like it. :(