1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about removing unwanted trees in winter

Discussion in 'Trees' started by tigerspots, Feb 8, 2014.

1. tigerspots

tigerspots Gardener

Ratings:
    +85
    My lilac tree-forest have been spreading and there's a lot of it I want removed.
    If I cut it down when there's frost in the ground, will it harm the 'mother' trees?

What about a dog rose bush?

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi

Lilac do tend to send up new growth (suckers) all over the place cutting out now is the right time and no it wont effect the mother plant same with the dog rose.

You need to pull them of the main root rather than cut then as they will regrow (if you can)

• Like Like x 1
    • tigerspots

tigerspots Gardener

Ratings:
      +85
      Thanks a bunch! Is it possible to stop them from regrowing if I can't get to the roots? Like...drown them in chemicals or something...?

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322

you could:hate-shocked: but you will kill or badly damage the main tree you want to keep, all on the same root system .

Just have to take your time and do a little bit each day would be best ........

• Like Like x 1
      • tigerspots

tigerspots Gardener

Ratings:
        +85
        :mute:

• Funny Funny x 1