Question on my Tomato's & Capsicum plant

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Riggaz, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Riggaz

Riggaz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy

thought i would try kill two birds with one stone, have a few Qs on both my Cherry Tomato plant and my Mavras Pepper plant

Firstly, Tomato

I have never tried growing cherry tomatoes before (Actually never really tried growing anything before) so my knowledge is nil

My friend gave me a few seedlings(he grew from seeds himself) ready to plant last weekend and I bought some pots and potting mix and planted them out on sunday afternoon (potting mix in photo below)

I planted roughly 60-75% of the plant in the ground, gave it a good water and that was that. I have been watering them everyday since and i added some tomato feed last night (feed in photo below)

My question is am i doing anything wrong? I might just be impatient but they don't look very healthy - the leaves are turning slightly yellow, does that mean i am over watering or not enough sun?

Any help would be great!

on to the Peppers - have a look at the photos below, two questions

1. The little buds are starting to grow out (store bought on monday) and i am unsure on what i have to do. I gave them some tomato feed and watered them everyday, is that all i must do? Also, the second pepper plant has little lumps in the leaves (photo below) is that normal for this plant or am i just being paranoid?

Fallen head over heals in love with gardening, grew up in Australia with a HUUUGGGEE backyard with lots of room for gardening but took no interest, even with my mum being a very keen and good gardener, she would be proud now i'm sure!

Any help would be great, and sorry for the wall of text

Cheers

az

TOMATO PLANT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SOIL AND FEED USED FOR BOTH PLANTS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MAVRAS PEPPER PLANT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Your tomatoes do look a bit yellow Rigaz. Are there drainage holes in that trough. I would lay off the watering and see what happens. Also there's no need to be giving them tomato food at this stage. Save that until the first fruit comes along.

Your peppers look good. I don't know about the bumps in the leaves but I don't think it's of any consequence. Now that those little peppers are there you could give them some tomato food. Read the instructions on the bottle.
    Good luck.

3. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    HI Raggaz,
    Not sure really what's going on but, tom plants the soil looks very dry. Whereas it looks like you've been watering the leaves of the pepper plants rather that at the base of the plant, again leaving soil a bit dry. HaVING SAID THAT THOUGH (capslock!!) the plants aren't wilting. Which you would expect through not watering enough.
    Are you geting the right concentration of feed? The right dilution? How often do you feed them?
    John

4. Riggaz

Ratings:
    +0
    Alice - thanks there are drainage holes, i hammered a few holes int he bottom when i planted them on the weekend - thanks for info on peppers

John - I actually added a few cms of soil on top of the bed before taking the photo - that was also taken thursday night, and i hadn't watered them since wednesday night, but the soil was still quite damp and soil would stick to my finger when pushing through

Caapsicum - As for watering i use a watering can and the spray is way to big to not get it on the leaves. Should i just poor a pint of water at the roots of each of the two plants instead?

I have only fed them once and that moments before i took the photo (only had them for 3 days) and to be honest i over fed them a bit i think (call it beginners enthusiasm)

Solution - from what you both have told me, i will not water the tomato plant again today and leave it till saturday afternoon (supposed to be bloody hot in london tomorrow)

and i will give the capsicum more water tonight when i get home but instead of using watering can, will gently poor a pint of water at the base?

should i try maximise the sun tomorrow? I have a back window that gets full sun which i was thinking of putting my tomato plants at for 6-7 hours as they dont get any afternoon sun

thanks again!

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sun is definately a good idea. You can see the difference in my plants that dont get the sun till late morning, much smaller than the others.
    Peppers looking good, like alice says, feed em as the fruit comes.

Just watch the sun on the leaves with the water, the drops act as magnifying lenses & can burn the leaves.

Mum would be proud.

If your eyes & nose start stinging with the photo chemical smog at the weekend, go to the palm house at kew gardens, bloomin hot, but pure air.

6. Riggaz

Ratings:
    +0
    should i use tomato feed or baby bio on the peppers?

7. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Tomato feed is perfect for peppers, they'll get everything they need from it!

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Stop feeding the tomatoes, wait until they start flowering before feeding again. Don`t overwater them either. It doesn`t need to be daily just yet. The peppers look fine.:old::gnthb: