1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbit/deer proof pots for my sons grave help please.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by For-my-Angel, Mar 9, 2010.

1. For-my-Angel

For-my-Angel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am a complete novice, before now ive only grown cress :) but I want my sons grave to look beautiful and have no idea where to begin.

My son died in december so am new to all this and the cemetary has rabbits and occasional deer so have them to consider as cut flowers get eaten immediatly. (currently have daffodils but worry what i will use when they stop becoming available).

We are only allowed potted plants but have the grave space beside him for when our time comes so have quite a bit of space.

He is in partial shade.

any replies appreciated

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Hello & welcome to GC, and let me say what a sad subject this is, I do hope you can find something for your little one's grave. There really isn't much you can use that is Deer proof, they will eat anything as far as I know. Rabbits are another problem, we currently put polyanths/primulas in pots at my Mum's memorial as these are in season right now, the rabbits seem to leave them alone. I respectfully suggest you rotate your pots, take whatever is in season for some nice colour and bring away the pots that have faded.

3. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So sorry to hear that, Im sure everyone here will give you any help you need.

I found this link, http://www.gcnursery.co.uk/rabbits.html and its looks fairly useful (ignoring the stuff about fences which is no good for you) I think its wise to be prepared for some set backs, one persons rabbit proof plant is another rabbits favourite snack. Another problem is that they will leave the plant alone as it grows only to munch the flowers when they emerge. But persist I was working in garden only yesterday with a rabbit problem and lots of healthy plants.
    Gardening is an incredible hobby, hopefuly, in a small way it can help you cope.

4. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i too am sorry for your loss

what about a topiary of some sort? - then you could grow a shape of something your son liked. can the plant be a tall one because you might be able to grow something the rabbits cant reach

loopy

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I like John's idea of rotating pots, depending what looks at it's very best at a particular time of year.

6. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :) Sorry to hear your sad loss mate.

We regularly put flowers on our parents grave but we cannot put on Chrisanthemums as the rabbits just love them and carnations.......Everthing else seems OK.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi So sorry to hear of your plight, we never expect to bury our children, so I can imagine how important this is to you..
    We have a family plot I tend & I rotate pots as John says planted up with seasonal plants.. In general rabbits dislike very aromatic plants, plants that ooze caustic milky sap, prickly plants, plants with spines, or plants with tough leathery leaves. I use Euphorbias allot for that reason, they are very colourful tough plants & can tolerate drought situations well..

Deer are a little more difficult as they will brouse on anything practically, but they always know if a plant is poisonous & will never touch them as a whole.. As far as I know Daffodils are good the deer do not touch mine.. There are certain highly fragrant plants that actually repel deer, including catnip, chives, garlic, onions, lavender, mint, sage and thyme. When planning your pots, replace those things that deer like with substitutes that repel. For example, if you want to plant bulbs, choose daffodils, which deer tend not to go for, rather than tulips. If you like roses, choose a rugosa hybrid. The overwhelming scent, leathery leaves, and thorns make them unlikely deer food. I hope that helps you a little For my Angel.. :)