Rabbit deterrent ?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by TheMadHedger, May 24, 2020.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    So the next challenge to my new lawn (the seeds germinated about a month ago) is rabbits.

Not a huge problem I hope as it/they are only cropping patches of the grass (which will encourage it to branch out and grow thicker, I have yet to mow it as it's only about two inches high plus I need to get my mower blade sharpened first).

However, should I deter the rabbits or let them at it?

One concern is that grass seedlings don't have deep roots so as the rabbit(s) graze they will end up pulling out some of the grass.

I am of course assuming it's rabbits, I can't think of any other animal which could access my lawn and hunker down for a quick nibble.

I know there are deterrents that you sprinkle on the lawn that that seems costly, especially as it needs to be re-added up every so often or whenever it rains.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915

Not really but he makes me laugh.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I remember that. :)

Out of interest, will the rabbit(s) cropping the grass cause any damage to it? As mentioned, as far as I'm aware this is effectively the same as mowing it so it will branch out more (but with the risk of some of the seedlings being pulled up as the rabbit(s) graze).

I'm tempted to add some chicken wire to the surround area but to prevent burrowing this needs to go about a foot or so underground (and I don't fancy digging a trench first).

4. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    If anything like the mother in laws partners allotment in Cwmbran, he has to bury it down a good foot into the ground. He has chickens too, so has to keep the foxes out.
    Rabbits tend to scrape at the ground after chewing the grass shoots down and then go for the new shoots. Any food will be removed for thatch in the bedding area. They are the most industrious of our wildlife by means of many things which includes breeding. Good luck in this area.
    I think that the early morning birds like to remove some of the seed off the patched area as they like mine at present.
    It could be rabbits but best be sure and put in a cheap battery operated camera so you can see what is going on.

5. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm currently considering a two-pronged approach:

a) Chicken wire attached over the existing 'livestock' fencing wire (which has large gaps). Not buried though (I know, rabbits burrow, but .......... )

b) Garlic powder and Cayenne Pepper sprinkled on the grass with a drop of water applied (or place some in a large cloth, tie it up and soak overnight in bucket of water, then water the lawn with it).

I may also try:

- dead brambles cuttings around the edge of the lawn

- White vinegar sprinkled around the edge of the lawn

I should say that this is a small area and areas where the rabbits can enter are pretty limited anyway.

6. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Rabbits will attempt burrowing at the base of the fence, so you can turn a strip outwards either on or just under the surface. When they hit that they'll give up, rabbits aren't clever enough to try a bit further back.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: May 24, 2020
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226