1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbits

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Louise Roberts, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Louise Roberts

Louise Roberts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I know you are all probably going to say pet rabbits and gardening don't mix but I have two and they have access to most of the garden (not the fruit and veg bits). I have consulted the web (rabbit sites) and tried growing stuff they don't like but have found as autumn has arrived and their preferred grass isn't growing fast enough for them (at least I don't have to mow it), they have eaten everything except the rosemary and astlibe!! I'm told they don't like sage (they love it) or thyme (they have left it all summer but are now feasting on it).I haven't tried lavender but I understand they supposedly don't like it so I could try that.

Any ideas what they may not like.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,561
    Lupins! My last house was surrounded by farmland and therefore wild rabbits. The first year I lived there I planted up the beds and containers with some lovely annuals only to get up one morning and find the whole lot demolished, gone, eaten! :doh::) The only thing they had left behind were the Lupins I'd planted, they are perennials of course. I believe they are poisonous which the rabbits had obviously sensed, along with the hundreds of daffodils I had.

The link below may help you Louise but most of these are poisonous plants. Rabbits will sense what they can eat but I hope you haven't got any young children that may want to try them.

http://www.springreachnursery.co.uk/rabbit_proof.html