1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rain after laying flags.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by hoofy, Jun 17, 2019.

1. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    I had 20m2 of Indian stone flags laid yesterday and it has rained constantly since. The flags were laid on a full concrete bed on a good thick layer of compacted MOT. Will the rain have affected the job in any way?

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    It won't affect the concrete.
    The MOT won't go anywhere.
    But the water has to go somewhere.
    It will have to drain off into the soil around the MOT. As long as that is free draining and not clay, it shouldn't be a problem.
    What may leave surface water on the flags is if the rainwater can't get between them to drain into the MOT because the sand which is swept into the gaps is too compacted.
    This was the case with mine in one small area where the flags were laid over 20 tonnes of MOT and hardcore in our former 3000 gall koi pool a month or so ago. I found by just pushing an old knife down between a couple of flags on one or two places cured the problem. I've only had to do it once and we've had a lot of rain since.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    Yes, free draining underneath, so everything should be fine. Thanks.

4. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    I've just checked the concrete at the edges where it has spilled out and I can crumble it between my fingers. This concrete had the rain falling directly on it but is surplus to the requirements of the job, it's the stuff under the flags that matters.

Should I be worried?

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    How long ago was the concrete laid?
    The stuff will eventually go off even under water.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  6. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    It was laid on Sunday afternoon, so almost 48 hours. I'm quite sure the landscapers will have got their mix right, but after the left it just poured with rain for the next 12 hours. I'm worried the rain might have weakened it in some way.

7. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi hoofy, I don't think it will be a problem, I'm sure the landscapers know what they are doing, but I'm a bit surprised they didn't cover it with polythene etc given the wet weather we were having, when I did mine a few months back the edges too got very wet but have dried rock solid.