1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised Bed Hedge / Screen

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by JayKent, Mar 29, 2021.

1. JayKent

JayKent Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hope everyone is safe and well.

I appreciate there are a number of forums similar to this and have read a number, however as every house is different and we all have different requirements I would be very grateful for some advice or thoughts.

We live on a very busy "A" road and have a 1M high brick front wall, we would love to create some screening. We are unable (various reasons) to make holes in the solid tarmac front driveway next to this brick wall. The length to cover is 6m, we do not want to use pots, as we will need a large number to cover 6m and it will not look good. We have a water source and drainage nearby.

What I am thinking is to self build 3 X 2M wide raised beds using treated sleepers (sleepers are 100mm X 200mm). I can use the 200mm side going up and have 2 or 3 high, therefore the height of the raised bed will be 400mm or 600mm. I will line the inside with plastic sheet (as treated and to preserve timber) and lay the recommended stones/shingles at the base and fill with recommended compost etc. On one side of the garden we already have Common Laurel hedge, therefore ideally we want this in the raised bed to match.

Does my plan with what I am thinking workable? With what our requirements are, does this sound like the sensible thing to do?

I have considered using thinner timber instead of 100mm sleeper, but would like a heavy duty construction that will last, also aware how quick laurel will grow and therefore heavy duty to not blow over. Bamboo has been mentioned on this site many times and that is a consideration, but as we already have laurel it may look better.

Thanks

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi

First I would check with the local council how high you can grow the hedge as most front gardens the law is 1 metre 3 feet 3inches as is your wall now , if a mixed plant hedge you can get around the law but using the same plant it becomes a hedge. ....

Sleepers would be fine but you would have to incorporate a watering system (timed) as basically you are creating a large window box as such and ... Laurel is a gross feeder of water and food and holidays in july August imagine what you would come back to if it wasn't watered regularly

Spruce

3. JayKent

JayKent Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Spruce.

I should have mentioned it is fine with the local council.

Must admit I was not aware of laurel being a "gross feeder" - the laurel we have on the other side is in the ground.

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    thats good about the council ... yes the leaves will go yellow and fall off

• Like Like x 1