1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised beds for vegetables

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by kazzawazza, Apr 14, 2016.

1. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I have just cleared out the raised beds ready for planting this year's veg. I want to put some of it in within the next month but want to put some fertiliser into the soil first. Am I best buying some bagged manure and spreading it across the top and leaving it for a couple of weeks or so and then turn the soil over? Also, is the manure enough, or should I add anything else to the soil?

I have also noticed some snails and baby slugs in the beds. I believe there is a water in product that is safe to use on areas where fruit and veg are growing and also gets the critters underground. Any ideas?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,161
    Adding organic matter such as well rotted manure is good for any soil, personally I'd dig it into the top few inches rather than leave it on top.

Depends what you are growing, for root veg don't add anything more. If it's potatoes or beans then you can add blood fish & bone (organic) or growmore (inorganic) through the season.

Nematodes!

3. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,090
    i think i would just buy a tub of ckicken pellets and spread them liberally now a couple of weeks ahead of planting. Maybe a handful blood fish and bone too.

As for the slugs, i just disturb them and leave them for the birds to clear up. some say less digginig is better for the soil but im not a digger so dont really know the ins and outs on that.