1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised beds without much direct sunlight

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hmallett, Jan 24, 2009.

1. hmallett

hmallett Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Last year I had a go at growing some tomatos, which seemed to be a success, so this year I think I might have a go at more edible gardening. The only space in my garden doesn't get much direct sunlight however, as it's shaded by a fence. As a result, the grass on that side of the lawn doesn't grow well, as it's also quite cly-ey soil. So I thought I might put some small raised beds there (maybe 12 by 3 feet), with some decent soi and compost, rather than they clay.
    What do you reckon? Is it worth it if it doesn't get much sun? I have no specific plans for any particular veg, so can adjust what I grow to suit the lower-light conditions.
    If it's not a terrible idea, what veg would suit lower-light conditions?

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi hmallet. I too have raised beds,a few of which are fairly shaded. Potatoes, cabbages and onions seemed to do ok there (although the onions DID develop mildew which stunted them a bit). As for the clay, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just try to work in some compost and maybe keep the top few inches clay free to make it easier for seed sowing. Hope this helps. Cheers...freddy.

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    hmallet

My veg beds (only semi-raised at the moment!) don't get as much sun as I would like but last summer they produced some good lettuce, summer cabbage, French beans and leeks.

I'd try some fast cropping veg like salad stuff or summer cabbage, just to see how you get on. You might not get good results from late cropping varieties, though. It's worth a shot.