Raised Beds

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by dogsbody, Jul 7, 2021.

1. dogsbody

dogsbody Gardener

Retired grumpy old git
    Ratings:
    +18
    Good morning all you veggie types, I have a question, the answer to which may be life affirming - or not -.
    I have built two raised beds 8' by 2' and 8' x 3' both 6'' deep and standing on bare earth.
    My question is, if I divide them both in two by burying a plank 6'' or 8'' wide edgeways on, would that provide adequate separation for crop rotation.
    Eagerly awaiting your hundreds of replies,
    Thank you
    dogsbody

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Verygreen

Verygreen Apprentice Gardener

Student
      Ratings:
      +27
      I think that's the size area of my box beds. My neighbour built them but the sides go into the ground a few inches and I use multi purpose compost too.

Chives and radishes are growing well In one box but my broad beans are not in the other one where my sprouts are growing.

Not sure if that helps? :thud:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Very difficult one to say in such a small confined area, plus it will depend on the type of problem, lack of nutrients or disease / pests that could remain in the soil ?

Think we would suggest following a rotation method, but ensure you add plenty of good garden compost and manure each year to the beds.
      Rather than letting the beds remain empty over winter, sow a green manure crop which you dig in early next spring. Seemed to work ok for us this winter gone.

Might be better to make a partition 12" deep, using timber or even some thick polythene.

At any signs of a soil borne disease/pest then dig out that area and replace with fresh so hopefully avoiding it spreading.

• dogsbody

dogsbody Gardener

Retired grumpy old git
      Ratings:
      +18

• dogsbody

dogsbody Gardener

Retired grumpy old git
      Ratings:
      +18
      Thanks for your replies. I think that the best option for me is to stay with containers (builders buckets)as I have done for the past three years. With fresh compost each year no worries about crop rotation.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Hi,

If you have made the raised beds, then honestly, we would use them and worry about any such problems if and when they happen.
        Generally you will get a hint from the plants being smaller/less produce if there is a problem with repeated growing of the same variety/family in the same plot year after year.

Think renewing the compost in such large trugs is a bit overkill, generally just removing the top few inches and replacing with fresh compost/muck/fertiliser is all that needed for most plants.

• dogsbody

dogsbody Gardener

Retired grumpy old git
        Ratings:
        +18

• dogsbody

dogsbody Gardener

Retired grumpy old git
        Ratings:
        +18
        Thanks for the advice ricky101. The only crops that I'm really interested in at the moment are potatoes and onions though that may change. I have unlimited access to farmyard muck so I'll give it a go next year and see what happens.