1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised Beds

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Jane91, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Jane91

Jane91 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI

Im looking for diagrams or information or even new/used Raised Beds.

Im trying to alter my garden so its more manageable but without any luck unless its really expensive.

Can anyone help, If anyone has any going spare i will pay for them or any donations would be great.

Thanks

Janie

2. turl

turl Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] Hi Janie
    wouldnt reclaimed rail-way sleepers do the trick?
    as you can get these really cheap, durrable and look the biz.
    what size area are you looking @?

[ March 17, 2005, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: turl ]

3. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree about the sleepers but if you want smallish beds, I'd use gravel boards attached to 2" square posts sunk in at the corners. Gravel boards are reasonably cheap and are also transportable by car. They might not look quite as smart as sleepers either, but I'm sure they would be a lot cheaper.

I used this method to create a shallow beds in my front garden and they have lasted pretty well so far.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have got 2 raised beds 3'6" high made from gravel boards and 2'' posts! They are 6' long and 3' wide.
    If they are longer than 3ft it's best to have an extra retainer post. Don't use nails, they pull away with the weight of the soil, screws or bolts are better. I am going to treat mine with a wood stain to improve the appearance. They work beautifully, as I have trouble bending.
    I think this is about the cheapest option- with mine the main cost was getting someone to shovel in the soil.

5. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, I go to a local fence company who always have wood posts and boards left over from jobs just right for raised beds, they just burn them on the rubbish pile so its worth an ask. They will give them away or sell them very cheap. ;)
    Also being a fence company the wood is already treated.