1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised planters. Sort of.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Hehfaar, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Hehfaar

Hehfaar Apprentice Gardener

Lawyer
    Ratings:
    +7
    Before we owned the house apparently a few owners back had this area as a large water feature. The last owner put up these paving slabs and filled with soil. We've been using as planters and last year I finally got something to grow in them! I want to keep the plants and the general height etc but I really don't like how the slabs look. Any ideas for simple ideas to smarten it up a bit or is just a case of pulling it down and starting again? IMG_20191201_144838.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,599
      Here's a fairly easy idea for you Hehfaar.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • Coachman

Coachman Gardener

Retired Brit
        Ratings:
        +61
        Alternative? Treated or not, wood and soil have a limited life together and I'd be worried at the effect your set up's having on both the boundary fence and dividing postwork.

Most concrete makers seem to produce things like paving slabs and my local one sold 'boards' of 6ft x 1ft that have done a similar job for us for the last 12 years (and counting). Almost certainly more expensive but a worthwhile long term investment. Pic attached. GAR3.JPG

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,599
        @Coachman, the boundary on Hehfaar's picture shows a brick wall. The picture I posted was taken from the internet as an idea, getting wooden posts into my ground would be nigh on impossible. :doh::)

For the small area that Hehfaar has a problem with it wouldn't take much to replace those posts in the future.

• Hehfaar

Hehfaar Apprentice Gardener

Lawyer
        Ratings:
        +7
        As a note, the lower planter is sat on concrete so it's going to be some effort to get posts in (I was hoping to do this myself with assistance from my very strong father in law!)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,599
          Ah, so that puts the post idea out of the question. You could try and find a reclamation yard where you may pick up some old bricks to build a wall and match the existing boundary wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Coachman

Coachman Gardener

Retired Brit
            Ratings:
            +61
            All comments taken on board, and mine wouldn't work (as is) because the 'boards' are held up by lengths of stout angle iron driven into the soil. Hehfaar's concrete would prevent that but, if she goes for the brick wall idea, drainage holes will be vital to prevent waterlogging. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1