1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raising the height of fence

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Biffl58, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Biffl58

Biffl58 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all,

This is my first post so please be kind!

I'm looking for some advise on how best to raise the height of my garden fence.

I have a 4.5 foot high feathered edge fence at the end of my garden, roughly 25 foot across, with a narrow 30" gate to the right. I'd like to increase to as high as possible - there is an alleyway on the other side of the fence, and the neighbours either side have a fence/trellis combo reaching 8 foot tall that I would like to match.

Obviously I'd like to keep the costs down, so replacing the concrete posts completely is out of my price range.

I have a few ideas of what I think may work, but I'm worried I'll go charging in and make a real hash of it.

1, Replacing the wooden posts currently attached to the concrete post with longer posts, thus adding a 3rd aris rail to the feather edge fencing and replacing all feather slats?

2, If I do the above do the new extended wooden post have to be sunk into the ground, or could I get away with just attaching them to the concrete post?

3, Add post extenders to the concrete posts in order to add a 3rd aris rail?

4, Remove feather edge fence completely and replace with fence panels between concrete posts?

Any thoughts on the above, or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm just going round and round in my mind and getting nowhere fast!

Many thanks in advance,

Biff

Garden main.jpg

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,151
    Hello and welcome to the forum Biff.

How are the wooden posts attached to the concrete posts, I can't see from your photo.

3. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Hi Biff welcome to the forum:), ive done this with mine and planted lots of climbers to eventually cover it.
    10407032_10208694734915594_5262938555999000039_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • martin-f

Ratings:
      +10,302
      • Useful Useful x 3
        Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
      • Biffl58

Ratings:
        +1
        Evening,

Thanks for the responses.

JWK - The wooden posts have 2 x bolts attaching them to the concrete posts. My thought was that I could potentially remove these, replace with taller wooden posts, and add a third arris rail? I could also possibly attach the post at either end of the fence to my neighbours fence post - obviously checking with them first, however I think they'll both agree to this.

Martin - Your garden looks great, nice work. Also, thanks for taking the time to draw the diagram, however it wont work for me as I use the garden gate everyday to take the dog out, and as
        I'm 6' 5" I really don't want to be limboing out of the gate every time I use it.

Again, in my head, I can replace the side supports of the gate for longer supports, re-use the top and replace the feather edge panels to the size required, but I'm unsure if I'm being over ambitious or seriously underestimating the work involved!!:pcthwack:

I've attached a larger pic for clarity.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,946
        Can you use feather edge attached to current arris rail on your side to the height required? That way you will have the feather edge board fence to look at from your garden and no one will climb over as the rails will be enclosed.

Rusty

• Biffl58

Ratings:
        +1
        Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your message.

That's a possibility, however they'll still be no support at the top of the longer feather edge board, plus no flat surface on the arris rail facing me, so I'm not sure this would work!

• martin-f

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Theirs two ways to do this, start from scratch/ do something very similar as I have shown with materials of your choice at high level.

• Biffl58

Ratings:
        +1
        Hi all,

Thought I'd provide you with an update.

I decided in the end to pretty much start from scratch, but keeping the concrete posts, and I'm really happy with the results considering I've done nothing like this before, and using Google as my friend.

It's still a work in progress, I'll be tackling the gate this weekend.

So, thanks for the advice to date, it really helped me in deciding which option to go for - as did the two quotes for the works to be carried out ranging between £700 & £900 :yikes:

I'll hopefully give a further update early next week.

B

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Fence height: How high a fence can I put on my boundary?

The height of fences is a matter of planning policy. To find out what is allowed in your area contact the local authority planning office. As a general rule, fences in rear gardens are allowed to be up to 2 metres high.

First I would check how high you can have your fence , with your local council . I would not be happy if someone erected an over tall fence facing my property . Maybe some light trellis on top of a 6 ft fence would be acceptable.
          Then again I have a conifer hedge , it was on the property when I bought it , that is over 8 feet tall . What are the regs for a hedge vs a fence :scratch:

• martin-f

Ratings:
          +10,302
          Nice work well done, look forward to your update.

I think you can do what you want with bamboo Harry, so if someone complains about your 8ft conifers replace them with 30ft bamboo :blue thumb:.