1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ranunculus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Alice, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I planted some Ranunculus bulbs in a pot a few weeks ago.
    The instructions said plant them in damp compost and don't water them again until the plants appear.
    The pot is living outside so I put a loose lid over it to keep the rain off.
    I didn't expect to see the shoots until the spring but I've just had a peep and they're up about 3" and just looking like plants which have been growing in the dark :help:

Should they be up now :cnfs:
    Will they get through the winter ?
    Should I put them in the cold frame when the weather gets colder ?
    Any ideas ?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Well Alice when I planted mine a couple of years back I freaked when I saw they were poking through, but my old friend in the village said not to worry as they will put roots down & start to sprout like that straight away in the autumn. Then taller growth will begin in winter and flowers will develop in the spring.I was doubtful but he was right... So if they are in pots put them in the cold frame, but don't let them dry out.. :wink:

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thank you Marley Farley. I've been freaking too.
    Ranunculus are all new to me.