1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rasberrys this year

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Richard360, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
    Ratings:
    +1,069
    Hey guys
    I am looking to start a fruit plot and want some rasberrys but can not dicide what to buy
    I would like to get a crop out of them this year any one got any ideas

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think it is better not to get a crop in the first year, and thus to get the plant to concentrate on establishing a good root system for future years.

Autumn Fruiting varieties will try to produce a crop in the first year, Summer fruiting won't (unless you buy Long Canes ... but my advice would be to cut them down to the ground so that they produce fresh suckers, and those will build up the roots this year and they will carry the crop next year).

Autumn Fruiting carry fruit on canes that appear this year, Summer fruiting produce canes in year one which bear fruit in year two (and in that second year they produce more, new, canes which then bear fruit in year three)

3. Richard360

Bulider
    Ratings:
    +1,069
    Thanks Kirstin I was trying to be eager and wanted to try and get some thing out of the plot this year really as we have paid grownd rent and bought plants but will be getting nothing this year
    Never mind like you say better to get a good crop next year farther than two rubbish crops
    Thanks for the advice

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Is this a whole allotment? If so presumably you will have plenty of other crops this year? and can look forward to a bumper crop of Raspberries next year?

Take comfort from Asparagus need 2 or 3 years before cropping, and a lot of fruit trees even longer :)

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    P.S. Not everyone will agree with me about not cropping Raspberries in the first year

6. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I volunteer to be the one who (partially) disagrees. If you're planting loads of free plants obtained from somebody with an established bed who's been digging up dozens of escapees from the surrounding ground, letting them crop immediately can delay the time you have excess raspberries by two years.

7. Richard360

Bulider
    Ratings:
    +1,069
    Thanks guys
    Scrungee I'm buying then from garden center so only got a few at the min