Raspberries

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Liz Giz, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Liz Giz

Liz Giz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions re hedging. I now need to know what to do with the large raspberry plants I have inherited. (I think they're raspberries, the dead remains of friuts look raspberry-like). Should I cut the old stems (c. 1m long) down to allow new growth? Or do they bear fruit on older stems? All advice very gratefully received!

2. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    As a general rule of thumb, cut the old canes back to ground level when you start to see new ones appear. If they are autumn fruiting they should fruit this year on the new growth, if not it will be next summer. If they turn out to be summer fruiting, cut out old stems immediately after fruiting. Give them a good feed after pruning.

[ February 22, 2005, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: skrumpy ]

3. Liz Giz

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Skrumpy. If I cut half of them back, would I be sure of getting at least some fruit this year? When I moved in, in December, there were still some red fruits on the bushes. Does this indicate an autumn fruiting variety?

4. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    More than likely. Don't be frightened to cut them back hard to ground level.

5. Liz Giz

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. My mother-out-law is due to visit for the weekend; I will wait till Monday and take out my frustration on the raspberries! [​IMG]