1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry issues

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by vadiro, May 31, 2020.

1. vadiro

vadiro Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We have just got our first allotment few days ago (iay!) and and on a part of it there are some raspberry plants, which I have been told are the autumn ones.
    As you can see on the picture, they have not been touched this year. Also, they look to me like they have not been planted in a very organised way.
    Could you tell me please what I could do at this time to help them?

Regarding the raspberry rust present on about a quarter of the plants, there is not much I can do at the moment, I understand.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,335
    I don't think they have been touched for several years. Raspberries spread by suckers and so rows can rapidly become disorganised. I would decide where I wanted the row/patch to be and remove all those outside that area. Use the best suckers to fill gaps or replace weak ones in the area you are keeping. They will benefit from regular watering and feeding.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • vadiro

Ratings:
      +2
      Thank you very much for the answer.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi
      if the rust is a big problem it will be the variety so you may need to dig out and start again

Glen Prosen is a good resitant variety , have a google and some of the Malling varieties as well

• vadiro

Ratings:
      +2
      Thank for the advice.
      I think I am going to do as NigelJ suggested for now, and I will see in the autumn what's going to be next.