1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry Problem

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I do not seem to have many raspberries growing and not sure what the problem could be.Is it possible to put a couple photos of the raspberry plants on here so people can see what they look like.I also had hardly Blueberries only about a small punnet of each.The raspberries are autumn fruiting varieties.Have just spotted the upload link so rain permitting will take some pictures

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,056
    What variety Paul? My autumn fruiting are only just getting into their stride.

3. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Is your blueberry in a pot or the ground? They like acid/ericaceous soil and ericaceous feed. Give them both and you should have a happy plant. Also, is it self-fertile? Some like to have another plant nearby to pollinate it better.

My rasps have been eaten by some "thing" and are looking quite sickly, check the underneath of the leaves.

4. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Blueberries are in the ground and have been there for about five years.Not sure of raspberry variety but will try and find out later.

5. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I usually get a decent crop of blueberries and there are four bushes quite close together so pollination should not be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      Have just been to take a look and seem unable to any labels to what the variety is.Have taken a few pictures which might help.

Attached Files:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,056
      You have no nets, are the birds getting them before you?

• Like Like x 1
      • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        Have never bothered with nets and have always had a decent crop.Strange last year had hardly any apples but this never seen so many.Might be because I pruned last year.The trunk is starting to lean over maybe the weight of the apples but cannot do anything untill it stop's fruiting.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        How old are those raspberry plants ?

Seems plenty of growth , but the yellowing of the leaves with the veins staying green indicate a nutrient deficiency.
        Raspberry Nutrient Deficiency | gardenersworld.com - gardenersworld.com

Sometimes you just get a poor year or it may be they are getting too old and loosing their vigor.

Perhaps a good manure next spring, plenty of water and fertiliser when the buds come.

Have you inspected the base of the cane for bugs like scale insect, sap suckers.

• Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        I went to our local garden centre yesterday and took a few samples of my raspberry bushes and they said it was probably a fungus. and suggested I prune them right down now and clear all the dead leaves and branches and put some manure around them and leave and hopefully that will work if not will have to replace them.Just wondered what people on here thought