Rats in compost bins

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by TortMad, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TortMad

TortMad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi0)

A rat (or possibly more than one rat) has decided to take up residence in my compost bin that I am currently using. It is the first time a rat has ever took up residence:scratch:

None of my other bins which are rotting away nicely have been effected, just this half filled bin (presumably because it is warm).

I don't think it has any thing to eat in there, as I only put in animal bedding, garden waste and basic kitchen waste like peelings and teabags etc.

And basically I want rid of it and don't want it back, I don't want to give my neighbours something to complain about.

Any ideas I can evict the little blighter and keep it out for good:cnfs:

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    what sort of bin is it? If its one of the plastic ones, empty the contents onto a plastic sheet or into a wheel barrow then sit the bin on chicken wire folded up a couple of inches around the base of the bin, same thing for other bins.

If the problem is in a plastic bin above, simply the disturbance will be enough to get rid as long as you do the same with the other bins.

Open pallet type bins will need a different aproach.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :thumb: Hi Lea, Chicken wire is the way to go as Pro says... Not nice to find them in the compost bin I agree... I did see this in one of my old gardening newsletters....
    :thmb: So it would seem, tipping it all out & putting Chicken wire around is the best idea..!!

4. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I read somewhere that if rats start using your heap as a nest its not wet enough. I got rid of mine by pouring a watering can full of water in. The rat soon legged it and I haven't seen it since

5. TortMad

TortMad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your replies and advice:okies:

On my next weekend off I shall be lifting my (plastic) bins and lining them all with chicken wire, mixing the contents and adding water.

I will also stop using the nest box straw from the chicken shed, as often a little bit of egg white residue is left on the straw:dh:

And hopefully my rat friend will move on

6. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
  7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    If you do the chicken wire, you shouldnt need to change what you compost at all ....... The rats cant physically get in other than chewing through the plastic bins (very very unlikely as easier food sources)

8. TortMad

TortMad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Paul, I shall try :)

Thank you for all your help:rocksn:

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Holy helephants, I have just found one in my half full bin, but I water it-and I`m a bit er............dodgy, around the little furry creatures.

The hard faced critter just stuck it`s nose up from under my leaves and stared me out. It won coz I legged it.

My cats are rubbish!!

10. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
  11. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thanks for that:euw:

The only thing I really dislike about rats is the shock of disturbing them the noise is really awful:(

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    [​IMG] That is very Horrible Lmrr..:D
    Just one thing could you put a warning on your Thread, in case Whiley see's it. she gets upset. Thanks :thumb:

13. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,653
    Thats a proper trap LMRR, quick death - better than poisoning - mind your fingers setting it :)

14. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    I've nearly had my fingers a few times lol. I've got an electric trap too which is good as its easier to get rid of them cause u just tip it in the bin.

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Good stuff LMR, For rats I use fenn traps:

http://www.killgerm.com/product-group.php?group=509

I prefer traps to poison, humane and no smelly or risk of anything getting accidentally poisoned.

A tip, try peperami or peanut butter as a bait works every time, used outdoors make an artificial tunnel using chicken wire roof tile or whatever so as to prevent pets or birds getting caught.