1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-introducing grass around base of Weeping Cherry

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kevin Cowans, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hello all

I hope you are well.

I have a Weeping Cherry, I think, in the front garden which has a small square of turf removed around the base of the tree.

20210601_145504.jpg

It has been like this since it was planted in the early 1990s' and I would now like to re-introduce lawn around the base of the tree.

What would be the simplest way to do this?

There is a root going from the tree (obviously) to 11 o'clock which is close to the surface so would grass seed be best, rather than turf?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,153
    Grass seed and turf would not match the existing lawn, maybe that wouldn't bother you. Is it possible to cut the edges of that lawn elsewhere with a spade and get a bit of root, like mini turf slices. Then you can transplant those slices which would then match. Water well and within 6 months it would be hardly noticeable.

3. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hello @JWK

Thanks for the reply.

The reasoning for using seed is that I am planning to top dress the lawns and overseed which should blend in, hopefully.

Would that work?

Unfortunately, there is nowhere I could cut any turf from.

Thanks

Kevin

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,153
    In that case I would go with seed Kevin, looks like you need a bit of soil to level the area up, that will need compacting before sowing.

5. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hello @JWK

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Kevin