1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Re: Plants for difficult site

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sheal, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Looks like from my lack of response this one's got everybody stumped! :cry3: Never mind, I'll start looking at wall art. :)

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Coolyour boots, hold your horses, hang fire etc. I've just ran off to get my book. I think Aucuba Japonica (Spotted Laurel) might be the chap for the job. According to Alan Titchmarsh, this is the plant for the setting you describe. He says it tolerates "inhospitable, shady areas between buildings and at the base of a north facing wall as it copes well with dry shade".

He also recommends Leucothoe Fontanesiana (Switch Ivy) for the same conditions.

He lists other possible candidates as being suited to full shade but doesn't specifically mention that they will work in inhospitable locations.

I would recommend the book. Its one of Alan Titchmarsh's "How to garden" range, called "Gardening in the shade". Apart from a wealth of other tips, it has an entire section describing shade tolerant plants for all sorts of conditions, with a nice photo and a short write-up for each entry. I got my copy from B&Q but I guess it's available from many sources.

The ISBN is 978-1-84-6073953.

Good luck in your quest.:)

3. Lorna

Lorna Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    I grew a climbing hydrangea (hydrangea petiolaris) on a north east facing wall and it was fine, even in a tiny square of soil. Soil was fairly clay-ey rather than sandy, though.

4. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Is the patch in question open, as opposed to being the gap between two buildings? If it is then you have many more options. My rosemary grows in a container in front of a north facing wall and it is fine, despite rosemary prefering full sun.

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Thanks Clueless/Lorna,

I like the idea of the Leucothoe Fontanesiana but the Hydrangea would be a bit rampant for the site. I've posted a couple of pics and you can see a footpath to the right side of the garage which I need access to, so can't plant anything there that will run wild. Other than that, pot or trough plants would be the way to go I suppose. :)

Attached Files:

6. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I reckon all but the most sun obsessed plants will be ok there. If I understand correctly, they'll be in full sun in the morning, before the house and the garage wall start to cast a shadow from about midday.

7. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, but I seem to have missed the description for what the location is like... however I think buddleia davidii (butterfly bush) would grow there... It grows anywhere! Can grow quite big though, so would have to be pruned every year!

8. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I missed the description of your "difficult" site too. Care to remind us again??!!

9. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Hi all,

Yes this garage wall faces north east and the soil is sandy being coastal. There is a gas pipe running underground (in concrete I believe) along the length of the garage which is my main worry, because of root invasion.:scratch:

10. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Wow, that really is a difficult site :DOH:

I guess you dont want too deep roots because of that gas pipe...

11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Sheal, sorry more questions! how deep is the soil? Is it a general band of plants or is it Shrubs [to what height and width?, or is it herbaceous plants or a mixture of woody and soft that you require? Questions, questions, questions!!

12. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Why not just build a big wooden trough at the foot of the wall, and then you get to control the soil type and how deep the roots get. Maybe a trellis with some clibing roses or clematis on it.

13. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I never seem to get those eureka moments. :DOH:

Good suggestion though!

14. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Thanks all,

Not sure of the depth of soil. I 've been down to about three feet in other parts of the garden but have also come across rock and all sorts of rubble including the remains of a dinner service. It's really a matter of finding something that will grow there, taking into account the gas pipe which is about eighteen inches down at most. I would prefer a climber though, not clematis, I've given up with those having tried different types. They just keel over, even with soil preparation. Looks like troughs will be the way to go.

I forgot to mention, nine feet from the boundary I also have the sewer main running through from back to front garden and out to the road. It runs under my house extension which you can just see on the pics. I might aswell finish that off by saying in the back garden I also have a pole carrying the overhead cables. I've put slim stakes round that and will be planting a Jasmine there. The bonus is, having a minor road at the back aswell, I can garden at night. There's a street lamp attached to the pole! :)

15. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Oh my,Oh my Sheal, you do have a "busy" site!! If you are going to use the soil border by the garage you're obviously going to have to beef it up with compost and/or manure before you do anything. If you're going to use a trough as suggested [a good idea] then you're into different territory and different rules! There aren't many climbers out there that are hardy and that will fit the planting area but you could consider Actinidia Chinensis [gets big], Actinidia Kolomika is smaller and better foilage, Celastrus [Bittersweet] gets quite big, you've obviously considered Ivy and rejected it!, I think Climbing Hydrangea has been suggested, Jasmine, Honeysuckle, Virginia Creeper, Ornamental Vine [they'd need support]. Clematis like a deep, cool, moist root run so as you've found out they don't like dry, shallow, sandy soil. It took me years to give Clematis the priority for the right kind of site because, like you, I've got sandy soil [but it's not shallow as it goes to a depth of 100' to 200'}things take time.