1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Re : Scale on Ficus

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by helen, Aug 2, 2010.

1. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone

Recently I posted about scale insects on my ficus tree and enclosed a few pics of the problem.
    After extensive research on various other forums and botanical articles, I've found that (as Pete already mentionned) it is not scale or any other type of insect/infection.
    It appears that Ficus trees (among others) have a "leaf gland" on the back of each leaf where the leaf attaches to the stem and these glands actually secrete wax. It's apparently quite normal and nothing to worry about.( this secretion is meant to attract bees in order to pollinate)

So that clears up that "problem"...

However my tree is still dropping leaves and alot are turning yellow which does worry me.
    Maybe it's normal at this time of year, it is actually producing new leaves aswell so I guess the roots are ok...
    Maybe I've overwatered it... who knows... but it hasn't been moved from it's usual location, is in full sunlight and was repotted about 5 months ago (larger pot) it didn't grumble about that at the time... delayed reaction ?

:scratch:

Oh well , lets hope it's nothing serious, I've had it 25 yrs and I'd hate to lose it....

Cheers to all :thumb: