1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe: Apple, pineapple and lemongrass

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Loofah, May 14, 2014.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,704
    @Lea @OxfordNick @Zigs I'm checking so I get this right...

I've just picked up a few litres of apple, pineapple and lemongrass juice, partially pasteurised it says.

To the juice I'm intending to top up with 1kg sugar dissolved in cooled boiled water, up to 1 gallon for the demijohn. Then add the yeast and when fermenting stops add a campden tablet and wine finings.

Is that right or have I missed anything out?

2. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,704
    Also, I need to check qty of yeast to add!

3. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,704
    Also anyone use yeast nutrients?

4. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Is that the stuff Sainsburys are selling @ 3 for £4? There's 5 things to check out when buying carton juices

1) Does it contain unfermentable artificial sweeteners that will produce a sweet wine. 'Low Sugar' and 'No added Sugar' are warning signs, but always check the ingredients.
    2) Is it a 'Juice Drink' with as low as <20% juice with added water, sugar (or sweeteners) citric acid and 'flavourings' (which may not taste as good when it's fermented out). These juice drinks are not good value.
    3) Does it contain pulp or puree? If so then hold back about a litre of water until the ferment dies down (or start in a bucket) or it'll spray out the airlock.
    4) Although extremely rare with carton juices, check the contents for preservatives.
    5) Sugar content which is normally around 110g/Litre, but grape juice can be as high as 180g/Litre. This needs to be deducted from the overall sugar content/gallon to achieve the desired OSG/ABV.

Best dissolved in boiling water and added when lukewarm. Googling indicates the sugar content of that juice is 105g/Litre and 1.315Kg sugar/gallon would produce a wine of approx. 15% ABV, rather high for a juice that's probably better used for making an 11 - 11.5% table wine by using a total of 1Kg of sugar in the gallon.

1 sachet or 1 teaspoon whether it's one gallon or 5 gallons. It's a good idea to get it going 24hrs before adding as that way you'll avoid having wine sitting around awaiting infection if you have some duff yeast. Google yeast starter.

Always use 1 teaspoon/gallon, even if using a tub of yeast that claims to include it. Lack of nutrients can stress out yeast affecting flavour, plus it could cause the yeast to give up before converting all the sugar to alcohol.

De-gassing prior to adding finings as CO2 in suspension reduces their effectiveness.

The normal convention when making carton juice wines is 1 Litre of Grape Juice + 1 Litre of another juice, 'white' juices with white grape juice and 'red' juices added to red grape juice, but there's a shortage of grape juice in the shops at the moment (see P.S.) and Asda appears to be the only place selling it @ £1/Litre.

Personally I would use 1 Litre of that juice with 1 Litre of white grape juice with 735g of sugar (total sugar content 105 + 160 + 735g = 1Kg) to make an 11% quick maturing white wine. If using all 3 cartons in one gallon the lemon grass may well be over prominent after fermentation has removed all the sweetness and some of the apple & pineapple flavour. Excess chilled juices bought on multi-saves can be put in the freezer for later use.

P.S. Some months ago Tesco were clearing out all their stocks of white grape juice for 50p/carton whether it was 1 Litre or 1.5 Litre size. They also had a period when they were selling their apple juice at only 15p for a 1 Litre carton. I filled one of my sheds with them (the boxes are stuffed with cartons), have already used a lot and still have plenty indoors:

shed juices.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Loofah

Ratings:
      +21,704
      Oh thanks for that reply @Scrungee, has filled in a few blanks! It is the sainsbury's stuff and clearly I need more education.

How do you work out the anticipated ABV? Have you got a recommended yeast nutrient? I think you or someone told me before how to de-gas but I've misplaced it already...

That is a LOT of grape juice you have stored! I'll see if I can go find a carton of it or if not then not use all 3 cartons of the apple etc juice.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Have a look at these online tables;

Metric http://mpesgens.home.xs4all.nl/thwp/sugar.html
      Imperial http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

Youngs (or similar) yeast nutrient is cheapest but for some special fussy yeasts/flower wines I might use Tronozymol (expensive stuff).

Put a clean palm of hand over neck of 1/2 to 2/3 full demijohn and shake vigorously (cling film between hand and DJ optional) releasing hand to allow gas to escape. Some people use drill attachments to stir it up, and you can also use a vacuum pump over the neck that causes the CO2 to bubble out. Add a Camden Tablet before degassing using the shaking method to help prevent oxidation.

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +21,704
      Just like making a can of coke flat then :) I should have remembered that!

I'll have a look for the nutrients, thanks

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      It's cheaper to buy in bulk, only £8.95/Kg here http://www.innhousebrewery.co.uk/p59736/youngs-yeast-nutrient-1kg.html and over £20/Kg in small tubs from HB shops. Their pectolase is only £14.50/Kg when it's £58.82/Kg buying in silly little 17g tubs from Wilkos http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-pektolase-17g/invt/0022653?VBMST=pectin

P.S. I really recommend that you try getting some Asda WGJ and trying 1L of that with 1L of your Sainsburys juice.

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +21,704
      Well I had a little trip to the homebrew shop and found some tannin and the yeast nutrient:) Have now started everything off and it's already bubbling away nicely.

I decided to learn from experience and just try it with the two cartons, more so I know what it tastes like than anything. Next time I'll try half grape plus half other carton juice and compare

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Get some white grape juice from Asda as and when passing and tuck them away. Non-chilled carton juices normally have decent use by dates.

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +21,704
      Racked this at the weekend and topped up with cooled boiled water as there was quite an amount of sediment. It's still giving the occasional bubble...

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +21,704
      Campden tab in, finings now doing their stuff...

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +21,704
      And we're bottled:)

Had a taster fresh from the demijohn and it has quite the kick! I think it needs to mellow and develop a bit as the finish is very good and the initial flavour ok but just as you start to think 'yum' it disappears! Weird. Had a couples of glasses to be sure...

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Loofah

Ratings:
        +21,704
        Several bottles of this got drunk at this years bbq - it has mellowed quite well but seems to be getting better the longer it's left, as it should be presumably.

• Informative Informative x 1