1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a holiday for The Teenager and me please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Selleri, May 27, 2019.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,684
    I have been googling and asking for recos for a while now, and hope that you kind likeminded diverse bunch of gardeners can give me some fun ideas. :)

Must haves:
    Cobblestones, warm weather, dining outdoors, good food, wine.

Nice to haves:
    Direct flights from Newcastle, or one change.
    Museums.

Wants:
    Nature, walks, ridiculously pampering hotel ;) dangerous sport opportunities for The Teenager

Restrictions:
    Budget is maximum £3000 for two, max two weeks.

We have been to Italy (lived there for some years), Spain (fabulous low budget guaranteed sun, cobblestones and wine, but not very exiting any more), Malta (fab but too hot in August), Portugal (just once, brilliant! ), Tenerife (nearly ideal with stunning woodland walks and botanical garden) and the cities in the continent. With this budget I'm cautiously looking towards Croatia.... any experiences?

For some reason we have totally missed Greece, and Turkey is not really the place to go unless you want to stay in a resort.

I really want to have the potentially last of our just-mum-and-daughter ramble this summer, the Teen is going to uni in September and is also feeling a bit nostalgic about our travels. We always play cards, get lost, and buy too many bad books from WHSmiths at the airport. :)

Inspire us please!

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Why not try it again ... ;) ;)

portugaC35b[1].gif

3. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,684
    Will do, the nature and the food are just right. Shame about the language though, it sounds roughly Danish accent take on Spanish to me :biggrin:

Can you recommend any good areas for a visit please @Victoria ? Our only trek has been near Faro, direct flights from Newcastle and lovely walks around the marshes and the orange groves. We don't drive. Thanks! :)

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Hi Selleri

I was thinking about just South of Lisbon, particularly Setubal ...
    Setúbal - Wikipedia

We stayed in the Pousada ...
    Pousada Setubal – Sao Filipe | Pousadas of Portugal

We have also stayed in the Pousadas in Palmela, Obidos and Alcacer de Sal. Pure luxury, all in cobblestone (calçada) areas. Discounts are available, I have had 50-60% off but in April/Nay).

This is our favourite place ...
    Arrabida Natural Park - Portugal.net

Problem is not driving. Let me know if you need more information. I live in Central Algarve.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      Last edited: May 28, 2019
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,684
      Thanks so much Victoria! :star:

The links are great and Setubal area sounds perfect- easy flights even. We'll do some heavy googling tonight. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,604
        Wow, when I was a teenager I know my parents did not fuss about where to take me, in fact, don't recall going anywhere. Maybe some local amusement park. I was too busy working at home, and after school to make money to buy my own car.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,684
          Me too @redstar , it was a round trip amongst grandparents when I was younger, local park when I was old enough to be on my own and work work work in my teens. :noidea:

Our trips with just the Teenager and me started accidentally when juggling school holidays. We have no relatives around. The (then) Baby was impressed with things she had learned at school about ancient Egypt and :ideaIPB: happened- let's go to Paris and Louvre! So we did, and enjoyed the experience so much that we have made time for a week or two trip together every year since. It's great to be just together, sharing everything, getting lost, finding the most improbable museums and sights (once we nearly bought a taxidermy cat from a Spanish antiques market ), playing cards in the hotel room, finding the best food and just sharing an experience. I'm blooming lucky to have a Teenager who is great travelling companion. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1