1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Pruning Tools - Long Arm Loppers etc...

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by LazyMonkey, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LazyMonkey

LazyMonkey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Our Wilkinson long arm lopper has recently broke (internal pully system has snapped). Can anyone recommend a decent long arm? Very difficult to find a decent set in my local garden centres, so may have to explore the net.

In addition, are there any powered long arm pruning tools (rechargable possibly)? I did see a house development programme a few month ago where the guy had what looked like a minature handheld chainsaw. Very handy!!!!

2. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Lazymonkey, I have the 'Razorsharp' loppers by Spear and Jackson. They cut through really thick branches like a knife through butter. They extend to about three metres and work with a pulley system and nylon cord and a hand grip, all adjustable. I got mine from Argos last year and I'm happy to have bought it, especially when I needed to trim a couple of trees in my garden.

3. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I've had my Wilkinson Sword ones for about 8 years, they work in an identical way to strawman's.

Although I bought them Homebase I would add a word of caution when it comes to buying anything in Homebase .... they very seldom carry spares, this applies to even the simplest of things, strimmer cords being a prime example.

4. LazyMonkey

Ratings:
    +4
    Homebase and B&Q seem to stock Fiskars - are these Wilkinson Sword in disguise :help:

I read somewhere that Fiskars are based in Finland and make all gardening tools for Wilkinson.

Homebase have a Fiskars long arm lopper at the moment (with saw attachment) for £26 reduced, which seems like a good price?
    B&Q on the otherhand have a very very long telescopic cutter for £59.99. Im tempted to buy both as I like the idea of the saw, but also the length of the loppers at B&Q.

I'll try to post some pictures of the 3 apple trees in our garden that are very old and have become ridiculously tall.

5. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The loppers that I bought have the saw blade too. Argos has this for £24.49, which after using them on many occasions is a pretty good price.

6. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. LazyMonkey

Ratings:
    +4
    Popped into a different B&Q last night to help my mother buy some shrubs and they had the same extra long telescopic Fiskars longarm (extends to 5m), but they only had one and it had no label on it. The price underneath of £39.99 related to a smaller Wilkinson Swords lopper that was obviously out of stock. Anyway I went to the information desk and no one had a clue how much the lopper was. In the end the guy on the info desk said that I should ask someone on the gardening section (very helpful).........but as I told him, no one was there. Giving up I walked away but spotted a young lady SA near the garden tools. She asked where I'd found the longarm and then proceded to write me out a ticket for £39.99. I didn't say anything, but felt very guilty afterwards. Especially as my mother gets an extra 10% discount on Senior Citizens day. So..........£35.99 for the following:-

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/v3/lifestyle-telescopic-universal-cutter-220658-p-9509.html

Im feeling very fortunate..........but, bring on the trees !!!!!!