1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Tall & Shrub?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by demoneye, Jun 4, 2015.

1. demoneye

demoneye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a large pot (26" x 26") that I want to sit on the corner of a patio. It will get the sun 80% of the day.

I'm looking for a recommendation of a shrub I can plant in there that will grow tall (6' - 8'), but narrow - virtually staying within the area of the one slab the pot is sat on?

I'd prefer winter interest too, so either evergreen or with a striking bare look as the plant is in centre view when looking out onto the garden.

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    my first thought because you want it to be tall and narrow would be cyprus trees but they would grow too tall for what you want

I cant think of anything thats really narrow. maybe bamboo

or maybe a tree/shrub trained into a standard but they wouldn't then be tall enough

maybe someone else will be more helpful

3. demoneye

demoneye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bamboo it is :) Bought from a local nursery - I'm going to get a tall hoop support welded up to support it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      Ah glad i could help a bit :-)