1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recycling used but clean Duvets.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    As the weather is mild today I have been up into our loft to start clearing out a lot of junk and rubbish we have up there ready to take to the recycling tip.

I have come across a couple of dustbin bags with Duvets in them that are clean but we no longer use them as we bought some Goose Down ones that we use for winter and summer(lighter one in summer,heavier one in winter.I am not allowed to join the two together as his lordship gets too hot:snork:)

I don't really want to use them on the lottie to cover up my compost bags as I think they will get too heavy to remove when wet as they have that rubbishy material inside them that holds all the water when they are wet:biggrin:

Does anyone know whether it is ok to take them to the tip or do animal rescue organisations want them as bedding?They are Kingsize in size:)

Also while I am having a sort out does anyone else have the hoarding bug or is it only me and Mr Kandys family that fills the loft with stuff ie Video tapes that we have recorded onto,LP's and 45's plus cardboard boxes and other c r a p like Duvets,motorcycle helmets(haven't ridden a moped in thirteen years,plus the waterproof to go with the helmet:snork:)

Any advice would be welcome:smile:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,490
    I suppose the best way to find out is to phone them :blue thumb:

How did you get them wet to find out that info? :yikes:

3. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thank you for your reply Shiney:smile:

I usually read the label that is sown down the bottom edge Shiney which tells me what the outside is made of and what the fillings are inside,plus the box they came in had got the material used stamped on the box,so going by at info plus the dry weight of them I can tell how good the filling in plus the price of the item helps.If we hold our quilt near a light bulb we can see the pockets of goose down.:biggrin:

I used to wash my duvets at the laundrette in those big machines and then used to dry them outside on my rotary drier turning them so as to get both sides dry then used to finish them off in the conservatory on my airing racks:biggrin:

The penny then dropped that life is too short for all that palarvor(sp) so now we have the goose down ones will take them to one of those laundry places that can wash and dry them and all I need to do is finish them off in the garden when we get the hot weather.(It won't come off of the bed just yet:biggrin:)

Was looking for a quick answer about the rescue centres taking them for bedding so will have to source the phone numbers through Google and give them a call.I also have blankets that I am taking to a lady in the village who does work for a rescue center so I could always ask her.:snork:

4. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    I should think an animal rescue centre would take them or maybe a charity shop?

On the subject of stuff in the loft! Ours is full of 'stuff' we don't use it or need it but you know we keep it just Incase! Incase what...I'm not sure! I really must get up there & sort it! We moved eleven years ago & there's boxes of 'stuff' we've never opened!

• Like Like x 1
    • Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,067
      Most charity shops won't take them anymore but if you take them to an RSPCA charity shop they will be able to sell/give them as dog bedding. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,988
        I think Dogs Trust takes them, or so I'm told.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,490
          We moved 43 years ago and still have one unopened box in the loft! :doh:

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            The centres do, but not quite so sure about the charity shops.

• Like Like x 2
            • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +8,435
              :heehee:....oh that's good news I shall leave mine for a few more years!!!! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Kandy

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                Thanks for the replys everyone:smile:

My friend has been on the phone this morning and said she would take the blankets but wasn't too sure about the quilts but thought that the rescue center sold the duvets so I loaded up my car only to find when I got to her house that the rescue center doesn't take quilts after all after she rang them to make sure so have had to bring them back home.:sad:

Evidently the animal centre that she helps out at say they don't want quilts(or pillows)because the dogs are so stressed out from their previous lives by the time they go to the rescue centres that they end up destroying the quilts and then try to eat the inside fillings:yikes:

I have looked on line at the Dogs Trust and the nearest place to me that might take the quilts are either Kenilworth,Loughborough,or Evesham and their is no way are we going all the way just to hand over two quilts.:snork:

We have loads of boxes that contain stuff like drinks glasses,reading books,PC monitor and tower etc etc so the whole lot can go along with the three bags of cloths that are two sizes too small for me so they can also go to the tip and get recycled in the Air Ambulance bin.The only problem now is the garage is getting as full as the loft was until the weekend:snork:

And we haven't even started on Mr Kandys dads barn that he is talking about selling if he has to go into a care home,if he can't cope when he eventually goes back home,and the barn is full of even more junk that he has hoarded over the last sixty odd years not to mention what he has hoarded in his house:yikes:.Whoever invented the phrase make do and mend wants talking to:snork:

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,389
                my mother used to buy far more wool, fabrics, haberdashery etc of what she actually used.

Aside from what was stored indoors, there were boxes and bags in the garage, in the loft, etc Anyway in spite of her best efforts to keep mice away, they still managed to get to it.

So much so, that: about half of all she put away was, in the end, "touched" by mice. That is enough to make a wool ball unusable!

So "a fortune" not only in terms of dear things made worthless, but also the waste of money on this, was destroyed by mice! In 2004 they also had a flood - that didn't help.

Myself I aim at keeping things that can come in use for the family or guests about 3 years. If it hasn't been used at all or not enough to justify its presence, I get rid of it. A bit like the Facebook contacts.:snork:

Things get damaged just by storing, unless they are visited often. Some memories (memorable clothes, items) I would never get rid of, but ,hopefully, they shout fit in one cupboard.:phew:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                :heehee: The would defeat the whole premise of "recycling" if you had to use up that much fuel to make a donation :heehee:

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,915
                The Zombie Apocalypse? idea.gif

• Funny Funny x 1