1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Red fruit bush ID please!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by toppington, Jul 26, 2016.

1. toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
    +1,179
    Hello! Just wondering if anyone would be able to ID this bush at all please? It is growing in a shady spot which gets some sunlight near a spot of woodland, on a sheltered slope and is very low to the ground, only around 1 foot at tallest point. It is however huge and has covered a large area!

[​IMG]
    There are some white flowers on it which then turn to this... And start to make fruit.

[​IMG]
    Here is some of the fruit!

[​IMG]
    The leaves can be quite shiny and are ridged and slightly serrated around the edges.

Is this a Loganberry/tayberry/raspberry/ something else berry please?! Thank you so much for your ID magic in advance!

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,876
    Good morning @toppington my friend I am no expert but it could be "Blackberry" but we had better wait until an expert comes along such as our good friend @Silver surfer or one of our other friends :smile:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen something similar growing on Leith hill about 30 years ago, looked it up then, think it might be Japanese Wineberry. Loganberries and Boysenberries have got elongated fruits, not round like the one shown :spinning:

4. scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
    +238
    Hi toppington. That one looks to me like Rubus tricolor, grown mainly as ground cover not for its fruit, though they are edible.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,990
      Its been planted in my local park, did look it up at the time as I thought it had the appearance slightly of Kiwi fruit.
      Red bristly stems???

But cant for the life of me remember what it was.

• scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
      +238
      It's a very vigorous spreader, I wouldn't plant it, myself..

• toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
      +1,179
      It is a bush growing on some public land nearby where I live and was wondering what it was... As well as if the berries may be edible! It produced a massive load last year, toward the end of August and is starting to set fruit now too, however the fruits are very small in the picture. They look a lot like raspberries in shape but have much smaller blobby bits! (Not a good technical term!!!) :
      [​IMG]

This was from August last year when the fruit was growing. Does this help clarify things? I think the Rubus Tricolor sounds quite like it is, as there are spiny red hairy bits on it.

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Saw this last year outside burger king, of all places! Had a nibble and thought that's not a raspberry, got home, had a google and got nowhere. It was used as ground cover on a banking, didn't grow very tall but you could see it spreads easily. No help whatsoever sorry! :biggrin: