Red Robin Photinia

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Dean (Bucks), Apr 23, 2022.

1. Dean (Bucks)

Dean (Bucks) Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    A couple of years ago I planted a 20 metre long hedge of Red Robin plants. I spread them out a bit due to cost in the hope that eventually they would fill out to create a small hedge.
    I'm not a great gardener so probably don't do a lot of things that I should.
    Anyway, some of them are going great guns and I have now nipped the buds off the top.
    But!, some of them have never really taken and look a bit like pathetic twiggy things.
    Can anyone give me some pointers please

Thank you
    Dean

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    I would imagine you've looked after them all the same so maybe the twiggy one's are just doomed to failure and need replacing with new? that said I have never grown them. I have 20 begonia's growing at the moment all in the same place with the same potting mix but 3 have rotted off and gone mushy different plants I know but the same scenario if you know what I'm saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +13,962
      Check for blackish purple spots on leaves. Photinia is prone to a fungal disease. If the struggling ones are infected, nip off the discoloured leaves, dispose of them in bin, and spray or water the plants with a fungicide, if such a thing is still available. If there's no sign of disease, try giving them a balanced liquid feed, soaking the ground around their roots slowly and thoroughly. If they don't pick up after a couple of weeks, best take them out, prepare new planting holes and replace them. New plants will need a bit of TLC through the summer, though, as there is established competition for water and food.

• Dean (Bucks)

Dean (Bucks) Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thank you Guys. I do think I'll probably have to replace them.