1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Redcurrant seeds

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by HBK, Nov 20, 2011.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I'd like to grow some redcurrant plants, but I don't have the money to buy bare-root plants. I don't know anybody I can take cuttings from either, so growing from seeds seems like a good idea. I'm in no rush for big plants.

I can't find any shops online that sell redcurrant seeds though. The closest is an eBay seller from the US. Does anybody here know where I can pick some up in the UK?

Thanks a lot!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,653
    HBK, I personally wouldn't bother with seeds.

You are unlikely to get a good plant that way.

Bite the bullet and buy just one plant, from a gardencentre, you can then take a cutting or two next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      If you know anyone with a Redcurrant bush, just ask them for a few cuttings.
      You just strip the bottom 8", stick it in the ground in a quiet corner and let it get on with it.

You'll have your own bushes next year to transplant where you want it.

• Like Like x 1