1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Redecorating

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pete, Apr 27, 2021.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,030
    Just wondering how much we all spend every year on redecorating.
    Anyone approaching 30 grand a year doing up their flat in 12 months.
    Apparently some people find this is not enough and have to top it up a bit.

I'm guessing it might be like painting the forth bridge to cram in that kind of money, and more, in 12 months.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      We bought a new home 18 months ago and HAD to do a few things to make it livable.

- The wiring and meter-box was over 60 years old so we had to replace some that was accessible (8.000€).

- They had an old carpeted floor on the second floor we wanted to replace with modern washable flooring (2.000€).

- the panoramic windows in one room were 50 years old, damaged and didn't close properly, so we had them changed to modern 3 pane isolated windows (3.000€)

- blow-in insulation between the original double walls with expanded glued polystyrene (2000€)

- the stairs to the third floor children rooms were wobbly, had no handrail and wouldn't survive any safety standard inspection. Also it was ugly (3000€ - not yet done)

- Completely remodeling the third floor to make room for two children's bedrooms with new windows (2500€), insulation, floor and walls (2500€). Both work in progress

- the garden was mainly moss and rhododendron so after removing lots of it and planting some proper trees and bushes it now looks more like I want it (1000€)

And a lot of small stuff that goes here and there.
      So, yes. I can understand people paying lots of money to make their homes livable.

BUT, and that's a big hairy BUT - I don't get people that have to buy new furniture every other year because the old one isn't to their taste anymore. Sure of you have the money, then go for it. But even then I think it is a waste of time and effort and only shows they don't have anything else to worry in life.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
        Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,168
        As little as possible! But that's moderated by Mrs JWK who likes to keep on top of redecorating so we maybe 'do' one room every year. We don't have a budget, it depends on what needs doing. I replaced the cloakroom last year, that's a bit more expensive than just giving a lick of paint. Don't think I could spend £30k/year even if I had the money, that would have to be ripping everything out and starting a refresh.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Like Like x 2
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,030
          I don't think that lot adds up to 30 grand, so you could do an awful lot more and then some, and still be able to do all again next year.
          If your name was Boris Johnson. ;):scratch:

• Like Like x 3
          • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
            Ratings:
            +1,136
            @pete
            Sadly I don't have enough people that want to support my plans for a pool house with sauna and an added butterfly refuge with tropical plants.

And there are big differences in wether you want to plaster your living room with marble and teak wood or you shop for more affordable flooring.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,945
              We buy stuff we like for the house, we don't pay £600 for a roll of wall paper etc, but if someone else is paying why not :biggrin: we have worked hard when we were young and saved up to do what we want to do

• Like Like x 3
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                Ratings:
                +50,918
                It is my opinion that it is a "British thing" to redecorate frequently ... the paint needs redoing, don't like the wall paper any more, there are newer/better kitchen appliances (large and small).

We had our cooker with lovely eye-level grill plus under hob large grill in England for 23 years ... would have brought it here if the electrics were correct! Think we just had the one fridge/freezer. We are on our original cooker (electric) and hob (3 gas/1 electric) since we renovated the ruin c2000. We are on our second fridge/freezer but the first one is in the shed as a backup. We are on the third washing machine and the tumble drier we brought from the UK ... but it is used on high days and holidays and not even then!

They don't bother so much in America either. We only owned our last home there for two years but it came with all appliances.

It is different here as new homes come with your choice of whatever and most used homes come furnished so purchasers often want to change. I am not just talking about foreigners ... there is a lovely home near us for sale fully furnished and the owners are Portuguese wanting to move up North. We have bought and sold three furnished properties here. Often cars are included. I left one with the apartment on the Isle of Wight.

• Informative Informative x 3
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +86,030
                  It's a "British thing " that I am yet to master. :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 6
                  • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +16,246
                    Decorating is not my favourite hobby, in fact these days we get a decorator in to do it.
                    I could never understand, Michelangelo painted the Sistine chapel over 500 years ago, why do my ceilings need redoing every 3 or 4 years? :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,616
                      I think there seems to be some confusion in terms? Redecorating is a completely different thing over here. Redecorating is cosmetics such as paint, furniture, etc. New wiring, cabinetry etc, over here is called renovating.

I can't see spending $30K Canadian every single year just redecorating, let alone renovating. Yes, my kitchen cost a bit more than that and it is a low figure because very little of the work was contracted out (I still get a taste of drywall dust just thinking about those days spackling, sanding..) but this was over 5 lustrum ago and everything still operates well and looks okay. And yes, if I was to finish the cellar, it would cost plenty because it is has full 8 foot ceilings and is a large area, but that also would be one time project. (Well, I already have 78 sheets of wall board down there that have been there for 30 years waiting to be used so partly paid for already :heehee:)

• Like Like x 2
                      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                        Ratings:
                        +50,918

I wholeheartedly agree with you here Lori ... but some folk don't know the difference.

Ha, we spent £25,000 to BUY this house as a ruin ... it had no mains water but had electric and a phone line, all of which needed to be done from scratch. The terracotta tiles on the floor were laid onto earth (as was our cottage in the UK). We have 5 meter tall ceilings in the lounge, foyer and two bedrooms so lots of concrete was needed ... even ceilings are concrete here and three of our rooms are Eucalyptus beamed. There was no kitchen (now a large one fashioned from the donkey shed) and two bathrooms were added taken off the end of the very large living room. We have a loft over the two bathrooms. We have a terracotta tiled roof. The chicken run is now a 20 square meters detached second living room. I think we spent £35,000 on all the renovations/rebuild.

Consequently I cannot comprehend spending that on redecorating!

• Informative Informative x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                          Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
                        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,616
                          Yes, @Victoria I remember you lived over here for a bit so you understand the building codes and why we have to have proper cellars that extend well beyond the frost line.

I suppose if I won the lottery, I'd be having a few renos done inside whilst playing with landscapers outside. And spending lots of money at the nursery :)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,496
                            What did I spend on redecorating? :scratch:

Apart from having the kitchen revamped with wall knocked down etc. (which I agree with @CanadianLori is not decorating) I must have spent at least £1 in the last 20 years for a small tin of touch up paint.

The wooden outside of the summerhouse had to be repainted last year (1st time in the twelve years it has been there) to preserve the wood (debateable whether that is decoration, preservation, renovation or maintenance).

• Like Like x 4
                            • pete

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +86,030
                              So if you suddenly had £30,000 of some one else's money to spend annually redecorating, what would you spend it on.?:scratch:

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                              Ratings:
                              +30,616
                              I'd be creating a sky-lighted loft and some built in cabinets in lots of rooms!

• Like Like x 2