1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

removal of sumac (possibly stagshead) suckers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by crocus, Jul 6, 2017.

1. crocus

crocus Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    hello fellow gardeners, my neighbour has recently cut down his sumac tree hooray! i currently have about 80 suckers coming up in my garden. while my neighbour remained happy with his sumac i just pulled the suckers out constantly. but now the tree is thankfully gone i want to eradicate the runners. they are in the lawn and border, what would be the easiest way of doing this please. thanks :)

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    They won't survive being mown in the lawn. I find they pull out easily from borders whilst they are small, sounds like you have a big job on your hands!

3. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
  4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Crocus, by cutting down his tree your neighbour will create loads more suckers. Pruning, cutting, etc promotes lots of root activity....it is a survivor.:love30:
    I would use a lawn weedkiller on the sprouts in the lawn; for the border I would use glyphosate. As JWK said, it is a big job!
    A neighbour here, luckily far away from me, has a few Sumachs...he loves 'em but is no gardener. I can see no reduction of suckers in his grass. The mower cuts them but more and more appear.
    I was fortunate...when I first started planting things a friend warned me about my newly planted Sumach. It was whipped out there and then.
    Invasive plants should have a warning on them

• Agree Agree x 1
    • crocus

crocus Gardener

Ratings:
      +26
      thankyou for your helpful reply's, i will prepare to do battle with these suckers, whoops nearly typed something else.:snorky: