1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Pyracantha

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DAG, Sep 21, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My daughters garden sides onto an alleyway and this is lined with Pyracantha which is now reaching 10-12 feet high and about 30 feet long! Although it is outside of her boundary fence, the council (who planted it) say they are not responsible for it and that she will have to maintain it herself!

I shall check out the legal situation regarding digging up the plants, moving the fence and claiming back about 3 feet of land by the length of her property. If this is feasible, how much of a problem will it be to remove the roots of the Pyracantha, bearing in mind it's size and the fact that it may go under the footpath/alleyway.

I have spent 2 days and 2 trailer loads just cutting down about a quarter of it and giving it a trim.

I suppose my real question is - will it be necessary to remove the roots to kill the plants?

Please give me some light at the end of the tunnel! :D :D

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    One hell of a job Dag if I were you I would hire a small digger for your own safety if you dig down at the edge of the path any roots that go under should die off

3. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks walnut, good point! ;)

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    You could also try Murphy's Tumbleweed Gel. It's a tiny pot of goop with a brush attached to the lid. You "paint" it onto a leaf or stem or whatever and it kills down the root.

5. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks LOL, mind you I think I would have Hornbeam after me if I did? ;) ;)

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Oh, that's only if you take away the food from the birds and butterflies and thingy-wings! [​IMG]