rendering a garden wall

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by cirrus, Feb 28, 2014.

1. cirrus

cirrus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've attached an image of my garden wall. This was put in place before I moved in. Over the years I've patched up the wall with cement and repainted it every year (render has cracked every year and fallen off, plus the paint goes green). The bricks are blown and the whole lot needs rebuilding (water proof membrane needed and decent bricks).

wall.jpg

Most brick layers I've spoken to have advised me against going for render again as it's unlikely to stay on with the frost.

Wondered if you could give me some advice as to whether I can render the wall and it stay satisfactory for a good number of years? The look would be completely lost without white render. Not sure bricks with white paint would work either? Willing to pay for engineering bricks if the render would stick to them better.

Wondering if the wall was same height rather than sloped - would be better as less render required.

Any other options for keeping the look? When painted it looks really good, but maintenance of it is proving a pain in the A**.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,655
    Only way I can think of is to start again, use a damp proof course and don't render over that, you have a small gap so the render doesn't touch the ground to draw up moisture. I'd use engineering bricks and stainless steel render edge bead, then a breathable paint so you don't trap moisture inside the structure.

Is it a retaining wall for the bed behind? If so you need to put a membrane behind or black jack to stop water getting in from the back.

For a 100% fix, make it out of fibre-glass and resin and paint it white, shouldn't be too difficult as it's only small.

• Like Like x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +13,969
      Not sure about your brickies' advice, cirrus. Nearly all the new-builds here are rendered onto hollow clay bricks or concrete construction blocks and it can get down to -17C. Would guess that probably it's a twofold problem....surface too smooth so not a very good 'key' for the render to stick, and damp coming through from behind and underneath. I'd go with JWK's suggestions re. damp-proofing, and see whether it would be possible to re-construct using rough blocks. Only other tips are that here the pros do two coats of render and only when the weather is perfectly dry for a few days either side of the operation.

• Like Like x 1
      • cirrus

cirrus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        thanks guys - sounds like I need to speak to some more brickies'

what advantage does the render edge bead give me? Yes the wall is a retainer for the bed behind (soil flush with wall). In addition to the membrane, would you expect to render the back of wall too or just top and front?

what about using engineering bricks - keeping wall same height all the way round, filling cement flush between bricks and then painting bricks and cement white? Would that work or look awful with the rough brick finish?

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,487
        What about using natual stone, it will go green but it can be washed off

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,318
          I'm with Jiffy on this, using natural white stone perhaps and it will look after itself. :)

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,655
          Mainly it provides a neat and tidy way of supporting the render and maintaining the correct gap whilst it is being applied. It f you don't have a gap the render will suck up moisture from the ground.

If the back is visible then render it too.

You can get quite smooth engineering bricks, with an almost ceramic glazed finish. They would still look like bricks once you painted them though, and probably not too nice to look at.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,655
          Here's another idea, you could make the wall out of white concrete, using silver sand and 'snowcrete' (white cement) - this is what I used to make the mortar between some flint panels I made in my garden walls. It's not 100% white but would certainly be weather proof:

20090109-IMG_1614.jpg

I guess it could be painted afterwards to increase the whiteness.

If it was cast out of concrete you'd need to make up shuttering to form the sides, then use wire mesh to reinforce it or a concrete admix:

20090821-IMG_2847.jpg

• suze71

suze71 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi I have had white contemporary wall built that I can plant in. It is K rendered and I was wondering how high can I put my top soil. Can it touch the render as the render inside is half way down so if I put top soil just under the render lip it is too low for plants.
          Dont want it to crack with the moisture any help thanks

Attached Files:

• JWK

Ratings:
          +45,655
          I had to google "K Render" as I'd never heard of it. Might be best to ask your builder those questions.

Welcome to the forum by the way :) and your planter looks good. Does K render keep it's colour then?

• suze71

suze71 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi John
          K render does keep colour but you can paint as I have done just to keep it white. I dont see builder now to ask. It is used on outside of houses so should not crack for 10 years or more but just wanted to know if I could put the soil to near the top of the wall but it would be touching the render. I cant get help