1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace rotten log roll borders with new railway sleepers - difficult?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Derbyshire, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Derbyshire

Derbyshire Gardener

IT Trainer
    Ratings:
    +84
    I've been meaning to replace the log rolls (which must be 14 years old now) which spans most of my garden with an alternative. Having looked at concrete lawn edging, to bricks, to other log roll, I am one for using natural materials so I am erring more towards using railway sleepers instead. Not the reclaimed creosote ones (as have dogs to worry about) and also planning on buying them locally.

My questions are:

1. Can I use just 1 layer or must I stagger them in 2 layers?
    2. How do I cut to shorten any that need shortening to fit smaller gaps?
    3. How do I join 2 sleepers together where the ground is not very level so I don't get an uneven gap in between each one?
    4. Must I stick to just straight lines with these sleepers or can I be adventurous?
    5. Must I treat/paint them before laying them down?
    6. How often must I re-treat them with paint?
    7. Which paint is best used on them (bearing safety of dogs in mind please)?
    8. Where is the best place to buy them from (Derbyshire here) please?
    Many thanks and also please add info about anything I have overlooked.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I have sleepers running down the central path and at the end of some borders. I bought my sleepers from the local Timber Yard who transported them to my house for free. That was fine until I tried to move them from the front of the house to the rear garden as they weigh a ton!!! Mine were old used sleepers [but it sounds like you are contemplating new ones] and I found that plants didn't like the tar/creosote on them which is good if you want a clearly defined edge but not if you want plants to droop over.
    I had to use a Circular Saw to "adjust" the sleepers where needed but used all bits in some way or another. I mainly used one layer of sleepers to contain the soil in the borders even though the main walk around border is perhaps a foot higher in the center than at the edges and I've had no trouble with soil creep. In certain areas I have used three layers but only in lengths of two or three and usually at the bottom of my slightly sloping garden where the soil height was higher. Once in place the sheer weight of them stop them from going anywhere so you shouldn't have any real problems there. If you're having problems with stability when stacking one on top of another then drilling holes in the top one and using 6" nails and hammer will do the job.
    Whether or not you use them in straight lines or in a more adventurous way is up to you although you will need to been ingenious in situ when dealing with heavy sleepers. Mine didn't need painting or treating due to be used ones and already soaked in creosote etc. The sleepers should be made of Oak and will turn grey over a time and should last quite a while unpainted. But I must admit I would be tempted to paint at least the bottom of the sleepers with Creosote substitute to make them last longer and then cover the treated area with soil to allow plants to climb over them if that's what you want.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,552
      I think Armandii has covered everything Derbyshire but I thought you'd like to see this bed. I took on a nightmare of a garden when I moved to my present home and spent three years levelling and getting it to the point where it was workable as a 'blank canvass'. This two tiered bed surrounded by railway sleepers was created for me as I couldn't manage the heavy work myself. I also had to contend with the mains sewer inspection drain (where the pot is standing) and as you can see a pole carrying the overhead cables as well, both within the confines of the bed.

There was only one layer of untreated sleepers put in on both tiers and they were joined with backing posts. I do get some slight seepage of soil from top tier to bottom but that's not an issue as I tend to add a layer of compost every year anyway. I've not treated the sleepers and have left them to weather.

019.JPG

022.JPG

Two years ago
      043.JPG

• Like Like x 5
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • Derbyshire

Derbyshire Gardener

IT Trainer
        Ratings:
        +84
        Absolutely love it!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,552
          Thank you! :)

• Like Like x 2
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            1 layer is fine, but if you want to put the sleeper "on edge" you may have to anchor it - as it won't be as stable. I drilled mine (you need a LONG drill bit!) and knocked some rebar through, and a couple of feet into the ground below. I have mine stacked 3-high I think, and just held in place with rebar rods.

I used a chain saw but found it very difficult to cut them square, so if you want acurate angles thena circular / chop saw would be better.

I doubt you need to do anything to new ones - that are pre treated. I put some pond liner under/inside them to reduce the rate that they rot

Never? :)

Dunno if it is too far for you, but I found the cheapest place was in Corby. VERY helpful people there.
            http://www.uksleepers.co.uk/

• Like Like x 2