1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing 'sad' lawn with play area

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by MrsRake, Apr 12, 2020.

1. MrsRake

MrsRake Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi everyone, just looking for someone with experience to advise. My generally sensible husband is often a bit clueless when it comes to gardening. He's decided to replace a shabby, mossy corner of our lawn with a play area - probably 7m x 3m - as he is fed up of maintaining it (and for some reason forbids me to try).

His approach is one I don't entirely trust as it seems too easy! He simply plans to lay down a weed membrane then pour a huge amount of play-grade wood chip over the top, retaining it all with sleepers.
    He expects this to last for about 5 to 8 years.

Is that going to work? I can't specifically pick fault with it, but wonder if he should be doing something more to prepare the ground.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Probably :)

I'd kill whatever is there with weedkiller first - to reduce the amount of "stuff" underneath the membrane that wants to "have a go" ... but other than that the only other problem is that Bark (or even Gravel) over weed membrane provides some anchor for weed seedlings. But they are very easy to remove (as they aren't rooted into the ground), but it gets harder the longer they are left. So keep on top of that (but it will be minutes-a-month at worst