Replanting potatoes?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Mr Laybury, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Mr Laybury

Mr Laybury Gardener

Ratings:
    +61
    My girlfriend and I just pulled up a few of our early potato plants and got a bit of a harvest off them, enough for the two of us to have new potatoes for tea anyway. We saw a lot of small tubers on the remaining plants so we dug the holes again and put them back in.

Has anyone else done this before with any success? We put one of the plants back a good 2-3" deeper than it was originally.

Thanks
    Mark

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,645
    Sorry but I reckon they won't grow anymore after being disturbed. Willing to be proved wrong though so let us know how it goes :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Mr Laybury

Mr Laybury Gardener

Ratings:
      +61
      Cheers for the input. Any that do grow are always a bonus in my eyes. If nothing happens then we've still had some.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mr Laybury

Mr Laybury Gardener

Ratings:
        +61
        Ok so it's been what, 12 days since I posted this thread. Just pulled up the potatoes which I replanted and I can confirm...

They do continue to grow

Whether or not the taste is compromised, I am yet to establish, but the potatoes had continued to grow under the ground.

When I replanted, they weren't watered, and so the leaves and such wilted considerably. I would say watering the spuds in again should go unsaid, but I forgot.

I can also state that there were new tubers forming, which is also a plus.

I can only guess that they would continue as a healthy plant had they been watered properly initially. Definitely going to try this again next year.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1