1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Repotting large rose

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Aimi, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Aimi

Aimi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

Just joined this forum and I am very new to gardening so bare with me

I inherited a rose (floribunda I think) from my late dad. It is in a large pot. To be honest, it's been pretty neglected the past 2 years as I had no idea what to do with it. However, I'm adamant to try and save it.

I cut it right back as instructed online and it has some new shoots growing from it so it seems as if it's still alive.

My question is, I want to transfer it in to a different large pot. Any tips on how I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
    Ratings:
    +284
    Roses don't need to be repotted very often. It's very obvious when they do because they stop flowering and growing. If they're still doing that, they're okay where they are.

You'll need some large leather gloves to protect your hands and forearms from the thorns.

Don't put it in a huge pot - the new pot should be a few inches bigger in diameter, no more.

1. Make sure the new pot is clean and dry.
    2. Half fill the new pot with soil. You can put a little manure at the bottom if you have some. Use a compost specifically for roses for the remainder.
    3. Cut back the rose as much as possible. This makes it easier to handle and minimises water loss.
    4. Lay the pot on its side so you can ease out the rose.
    5. Gently shake the loose soil off the roots. Remove any broken ones, if you feel confident doing that.
    6. Put the rose into the new pot. There should be a couple of inches between the rose's existing soil and the top of the pot.
    7. Fill the pot with your rose compost. Make sure it goes around the sides and press it gently (you want it firm but not solid).
    8. Mulch the top.
    9. Water well.

Treat it gently for a week or so after repotting - avoid full sun and make sure it's watered and draining properly.

3. Aimi

Aimi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much.
    Im such a newbie to gardening, Can you recommend a brand/type or compost I should buy? Thanks

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,202
    If you want to spoil it as this extract from the RHS or if your garden soil is good, that will also be fine with a bit of manure added if you can get hold of any in these times.

Container cultivation
    The best compost to use is a loam-based John Innes No 3 to which 10 to 20 percent multi-purpose compost or very well-rotted manure may be added for richness. Position the container before filling with compost as it may be too heavy to move once planted up.

Gro-Sure Farmyard Manure - 50L NF | Wickes.co.uk

000342.jpg 000343.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,818
      John Innes NO 3 and make sure it has good drainage and place the pot on 3 bricks to raise it off the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,202
        Good to see you back Woo ! :star:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,818
          Good morning @ricky101 my good friend and thank you your kind thoughts are very much appreciated:smile:

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          I agree with members comments.

IMO. By far the easiest way to transfer the plant to a larger pot/container.
          Selct your new pot/container. Cover the bottom of the container with compost. Stand the existing plant and container in it. Infill around the space between the two, firm the compost dow. Carefully lift out the original pot and plant. Remove original container and sit the plant along with it's root ball-undisturbed. Gently tidy up the surface of the compost, water and thats it.