1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Restoring a Privet Hedge

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Jungle Jane, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Hi everyone!

I haven't posted on here for a while as I've been busy repairing my "house of horrors". It's turning into a right nightmare so am looking for something therapeutic I can do in the garden to escape the frustration.

I have decided this year to restore the privet hedge that runs from north to south in my garden. Currently the hedge is about 7 foot high, 4-6 foot deep and I would guess over 80 ft long. I suppose this picture would show the overall size of it (should add that my garden doesn't look like this anymore, this was how it looked when we first moved in,)

[​IMG]

As the hedge is so large I am guessing that this job will take me most of the year to do. But one of my questions is, when do I start cutting it back? I'm quite happy to start asap but fear the cold may prevent or delay the new growth from returning.

Also how hard do I cut it back? I feel the hedge has overtaken a small amount of the garden and my neighbour reckons I could cut it back by another two feet in places. I'm troubled by this as about a foot into the hedge (in some places) is the main stem.

Have never really maintained a privet before either and my understanding is that they are hard as old boots but I don't want to overdo it.

Am not sure either where to cut back first. Should I cut the sides back or lower the hedge first. I understand I can't do both in one year but I thought I would perhaps ask what over gardeners felt is more important to cut back first.

I'm having my house rewired late next month and am thinking about starting the job then while my whole house is ripped apart. I've read in some articles and books that it should be done in early spring, but when exactly is early spring? Is that the beginning of march or later on in the month?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jane,

Thats spooky, I saw an old post of yours earlier & wondered where you'd got to.

Privet is very tough, cut it back as much as you want, it'll even grow back if you took it down to ground level.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
      +45
      Do it in mid-late spring once it's started growing again, and has all year to recover.

Best way is to cut the sides first, so it's easier to keep a nice shape.

Do one side this year, the other side next year, then the top in year 3. I suppose you could start with the top if it's blocking your light, though.

Remember to give it a feed and mulch and keep it watered to help it recover!

You're supposed to make the sides slightly slopey too (thicker at the bottom) to let light all the way in.

---

Having said all that, they are tough as anything, and you could probably just attack it without killing it!

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi Jane, glad to have you back.:thumbsup::D Ziggy and Andrew are spot on with their advice although I confess, because I dislike Privet so much, I'd prune it with a Flame Thrower:D:heehee::heehee:

• Like Like x 2
        • Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
          +225
          Good to have you back Jane. I always enjoyed your posts. Agree with the others about the toughness of privet. Hack it back when you like - especially when the electricians are trying your patience!:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,322
            Hi JJ

Happy New Year

Before you go crazy with a saw , whats on the other side ???

You can take this down to a stump but very drastic, cut it at least two feet lower than you want it and regular triming will keep it nice and dense.

I would leave it a couple of weeks but deffo do before end of March

Lets guess whats on the other side could it be Ziggy dressed in a sheet to look spooky or Armandii with a match:heehee:

Glad you are back everyone needs a JJ
            Spruce

• Like Like x 2
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              You never know until its too late,

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
              • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,881
                I would cut it back now, as hard as you like.:dbgrtmb: Armandii, go and wash your mouth out, Privet is a superb garden plant,:yess: easy to grow, semi evergreen, with beautifully scented white flowers.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                • andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
                  +45
                  I agree Dai!!! I think I need a lie down!

Privet is a great plant. That's why it's so popular, I suppose. You can get some nice varieties too, nice bit of variagation.

• Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
                  Ratings:
                  +3,225
                  Oh wow, it's nice to know I've been missed, but I don't think I've been away for that long.

I can see why many gardeners don't like Privet, I find it a bit of a thug and the size it currently is at makes me sometimes wonder if I'm fighting an endless battle. I did once think about chopping it down completely but my other half (who has helped me cut the hedge for 5 minutes) objected to this pointing out that the birds sometimes use it for nesting.

I assumed I pointed out that my neighbour takes care of his side of the hedge, as it is a boundary (but the hedge itself is on my side). He cuts it back fairly regularly in the summer and keeps his side in good shape. He comes across as quite understanding when I say that the reason I have neglected it is because I can't reach the top right now. Although I am a little concerned about what my eyes and ears will face when I am cutting the hedge now after a rather uncomfortable the last time I tried this in late autumn. To put it bluntly my neighbour is single and is making the most of it. His women friends don't seem to mind if I hear how much fun he is giving them from the back garden. I should stress that I have no ill feelings against my neighbour but I don't want to be put into that position again of him thinking I'm a peeping tom!

So I think my eyes would prefer seeing Ziggy in a sheet or Armandii with a match.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Most girls prefer Armandii & I to the Alternative:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • daitheplant

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +2,881
                      Jane, privet is not a thug, it just needs managing properly. If you are coy about cutting it back have a chat with a local gardener to do it for you.:cool::D:dbgrtmb:

• daitheplant

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +2,881

You wish.:loll::loll::loll::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Without wanting to cause offence, especially to JJ, I think Privet is a really awful plant. It can smell like cat pee, it is a very hungry plant and turns soil, within 3 or 4 foot of it, into a desert where its impossible to grow other plants. Plus it's in nearly every street as a hedge in nearly every town and city..............boring:heehee::heehee::D While I haven't got hedges as a perimeter to my garden, if I had it would be a mixture of Beech, Blackthorn, Pyracantha, Hawthorn and Buckthorn.:stirpot::thumbsup::coffee::coffee: Sorry, Dai:heehee::D

• Like Like x 1
                        • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
                          Ratings:
                          +3,225
                          How does it smell of cat pee?