Resuscitating box hedges

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by oliverk, Aug 31, 2018.

1. oliverk

oliverk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    IMG_5374_edited.jpg image2_edited.jpg image3_edited.jpg Hello
    We recently moved into a new house. The house had been unoccupied for around a month, during the hot and dry spell, and the hedges are looking rather yellow (see pics).
    Can anyone advise on what we should do to help, other than watering regularly? Should we apply any other product?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you
    Oliver

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,478
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure there will be someone here who can help you. I have never had dealings with a hedge although I do lkke the look of them :)

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Welcome oliverk :)

I think your hedge has indeed suffered in the long hot dry summer. Could be a thing called box blight but drying out would be my guess. In either case the treatment is the same:)

If mine I would cut it back ....Do it by cutting a few inches off and then seeing if there is any sign of green wood. I would then leave it until the spring when new growth may well begin and then I would cut it to a few inches above ground. Apply a granular fertiliser, water and mulch (a mixture of mpc and dried manure or chicken pellets makes a good mulch) :)

4. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Looks dead to me, however do as @Verdun says; there is a chance they could recover but don't get too hopeful.

5. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,078
    I would brush off any dead leaves,clear them all up and then feed with some seaweed. Water once a week so the roots dont get sodden.

6. oliverk

oliverk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll follow the advice and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

7. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Have a look at the stems of the plants with brown leaves. If they're marked with black then it's serious and you should destroy it.

[​IMG]

What you have I'm seeing right now all over SW England and in Holland and Belgium too. I believe it's a because the plant has been weakened by Box Caterpillar and maybe drought, though they have a reputation for being drought tolerant.

My advice is to do nothing till next spring and then see whether there's a recovery.

Even if there is some recovery you still may want to ditch it. Box has become very hard to grow recently because of the caterpillar.