1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

REUSE SOIL

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by frank taylor, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Perhaps I may have mentioned that my garden is a couple of foot higher than nextdoors. Why?

In the greenhouse, I use J A Bowers MPC for everything. Fair do's over the years I have followed my peers and used JI mixtures, even mixed my own according to the age old specifications. Probably along with many gardeners, I've had my up's and downs.
    My specialities are of course roses, but these are not greenhouse cultured. Using J A Bowers MPC I find it certainly is a MPC. Seeds, cuttings, potting up/on etc it's great. My other specialities are fuchsias, primulas and lilies.

THis compost is suitable for most plants, as it's pH rating will be safe for most of the general plants we grow in the UK. For the lillies some have their seperate likes and dislikes. So for those that that demand a slightly higher alkaline pH, I will add some lime. In general, grit is often added for drainage. All in all, having sampled various bags of compost on offer. I will only use J A Bowers MPC. Within the greenhouse, not that I grow much from seed now, but the spent compost would be used for potting up etc.

Now. I do apologise for rambling on. Time to empty pots etc. All leftover spent soil/compost is heaped up in the garden. Here it stays throughout winter. Winter is actually a very important season for the gardener. The frosts, snow, cold icy winds etc all play apart in keeping our planet alive..........................including our, 'spent' compost. In time the heap is turned over and the odd handful of bonemeal might be added. Eventually it is spread across the garden and by whatever means is dug in.

For anyone planning on making raised beds. Hey' ho you already have the soil/compost.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1