1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

rhododendron - flowered then leaves turned brown

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ijolly4, Aug 20, 2020.

1. ijolly4

ijolly4 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I purchased a rhododendron and planted it in a rear garden border close to a fence. The garden is East facing. After planting it looked to do well and flowered earlier in the year. After flowering the leaves have slowly turned brown. From the photos you can see that the stems are green? I have been watering regularly. I thing the soil has good drainage.

Any help appreciated:)

IMG_6046.JPG IMG_6045.JPG IMG_6044.JPG IMG_6043.JPG

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    Looks like it has been scorched either by sun and/or the wind. Does it get a lot of these? Also what is the pH of the soil as rhododendrons really need acid soil to thrive. Your location would be helpful.
    The fact that it and your rose are both struggling and have developed brown leaves, leads me to think it is something in the environment affecting both.
    Have a poke around the base of the plant and see if the roots are wet or dry, assometimes if you don't break the root ball up the potting compost the plant came in can dry out and be very difficult to rewet.

3. ijolly4

ijolly4 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks for your help. I investigated this morning and looks like you are correct. The rhododendron was root bound and was indeed dry. This may be a mistake but I have dug the whole plant out and soaked in a bucket of water for a couple of hours. While digging the plant out I noticed that the soil was both dry and very fine with white specs in and also had a metallic smell to it. I have now also dug out all the soil around the rose roots (They were more established). I have replaced the soil around the rose roots with premium multi purpose compost with added john innes and will replant the rhododendron with the same. Hopefully this should help but any further advice appreciated.
    thx

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    @ijolly4
    Fine for the rose, but for the rhododendron use an ericaceous potting compost as they need acid soil (pH under7).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  5. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Erhm. Have I misread that. (pH over 7). Acid pH is below 7

I have often wondered about the accuracy of pH requirements for rhododendrons, most often claiming to be acidic 4.5-6.0 Yet places like the Isle of Wight they grow merrily away on often pH values well above 7.0

On the other hand, roses are often claimed to prefer a pH above 7.0 Whereas in accordance with most charts readings of,5.5-7.0 6.0-7.0 and 5.5-7.0 Rose:HT. Rose:Clg. Rose: Rambler, respectively.

I have come to the conclusion that, most likely, possibly due to the sudden very high temperatures that many, what are considered,'surface-rooting' plants such as rhododendrons have sadly been affected.

The general texture etc of plants such as rhodos, that the lack of moisture at the roots, a satisfactory defence against the heat effect on the foliage fails. So for those of us who grow these plants, perhaps we might consider in the future, good soakings and mulches.

6. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    @Mike Allen
    Quite right Mike a brain fart on my part. I actually typed under 7 and then "corrected" myself.
    My soil is only just acid and I grow quite a number of acid lovers with out issue.
    One thing to remember about Camellias and Rhododendrons is that they form the next years flower buds this summer so if they go short of water, in June and July in particular, these abort and no flowers. Being shallow rooted they can suffer from a fairly short dry spell. A good water and a mulch, as Mike suggested, is a good idea. I mulch mine with composted pine needles as these are acidic. I'm lucky? in having a number of conifers in my garden and thus a plentiful supply of pine needles to sweep up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      So glad you mentioned the pine needles Nigel. These really are so useful, especially on heavy soils and in container growing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1