Rhody dying

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by pip, Jun 28, 2010.

1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi all :)

I have a dwarf rhododendron which has suddenly died. The soil is moist and it is/was several years old.

Any ideas as to what has caused it.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    Hi Pip, was/it in a pot or the ground.? Did it set many buds last Autumn & come through the winter OK.? was the soil very wet when we had all the frost & snow as their roots are shallow...? Did it flower well if it did make it through.?
    If it is in a pot do you think it could be vine weevils perhaps.? No sign of fungus I take it.? Lastly of course, maybe it has reached the end of it's life & this last winter sapped it's stregnth away..
    These are all good reasons for the demise, sorry I cannot be more positive though Pip..:scratch:

3. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi Marley,

The plant is in a tub which sailed through the winter with well covered roots, produced lots of flowers and started new growth before it went. No signs of fungus, probably the dreaded weevil.
    On a different note, I lost an acer to some form of beetle. didn't notice that until to late.