1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhody flowers

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Jowo, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Jowo

Jowo Gardener

Practice Nurse
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi all,
    I'm after some advice on Rhodedendron flowering. We took over a garden last summer with 2 existing variegated Rhodies. I notice they didn't flower but had what appear to be buds. We moved them to different positions this year and they appear happy, have buds again (pic attached) but no flowers. None of the reasons listed on the net seem to fit their situation and I'm presuming that all Rhodies are supposed to flower? I have fed them sporadically and they appear happy. Any ideas would be welcome IMG_20210828_093602.jpg IMG_20210828_093602.jpg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,268
    Rhodendrons and camellias generally flower in spring time. The flower buds are formed the previous summer; a dry spell at this time can cause the flower buds to drop off or not develop properly. To help mulch in early summer and water well through the summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jowo

Jowo Gardener

Practice Nurse
      Ratings:
      +47
      Hi Nigel,
      Thanks for your reply. Yes I think next summer a mulch will be in order. I'm thinking we may have moved them into an area that's too dry. We'll see. Thanks again