1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhody's failure to re-launch

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by technic123, Jun 9, 2011.

1. technic123

technic123 Gardener

Apprentice Carpenter
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Rhododendron Spinulferum back in the spring, it was at the end of its flowering period when i bought it and was very leggy. Once it had finished flowering i dead headed it and waited for afew weeks before pruning it back 3"-4" leaving at least 3/4 of the plant to try and bush it out abit.
    Since then, as expected, it has tryed to send out new shoots but they seem to die back every time. All that is left is one of the original lonly little leafs and im realy worried that if something dosent happen soon im gooing to loose it.

:help::help::help::help::help:

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Tom

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Tom, you should have left it alone for this season. Assuming it is now planted out, I would say that apart from watering it now and then, leave it be.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +81
      I would say keep it well watered, put some peat round its feet and let it get on with it. I'm sure it will be fine. Just a bit of patience required.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,793
      My established one did the same when I first moved into this house; unfortunately it was before i researched rhodys and I killed it with the wrong sort of fertiliser... Have you put any on?

• technic123

technic123 Gardener

Apprentice Carpenter
      Ratings:
      +0
      Just an acid feed every couple of weeks. I have an almost full bin of compost thats very wet and soggy, will this do instead of the peat?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      "compost thats very wet and soggy,"

Compost shouldn't be like that, ideally, so you would not be putting "best foot forwards" if you were to use that.

Are you on an acid soil or are you trying to get this established on an Alkaline soil? (which makes the job harder ... to say the least)

If you are not sure then: "Do see plenty of Rhododendron / Azaleas / Camellias in other gardens locally"

• technic123

technic123 Gardener

Apprentice Carpenter
      Ratings:
      +0
      Its a mix of grass cuttings and soft garden waste that is in a sealed compost bin. I keep it wet as it helps it to rot down (which ive been advised to do) and accationly douse it in urin which has been advised on a topic on here.
      I thought the result (a smelly, dark, soggy mush) would be a realy good natural fertaliser........guess im wrong? :DOH:

Im not sure on whether the soil is acid or alkaline, ive never tested it, hence why i use an acid feed. My azalia didnt flower for very long this year or last for that matter, may this be why?

• daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Technic, re the compost. As long as you are using green material you are adding moisture, so no need to add more.:dbgrtmb: For good, dry, friable compost it needs to be a mix of green and brown. Green, grass cuttings and the like. Brown, leaves or shredded paper.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        It will rot down whatever you do, and will still be useful. If it has air it will rot down using Aerobic processes, and if wet / slimy / no air then Anaerobic processes.

The best compost is made using Aerobic processes. As well as all the nutrients in the plants that are released (by either method, equally, I would guess, but I don't know for sure) aerobic composting encourages beneficial "bugs" to thrive, and these are added back to the soil when you put the finished compost around the plants. That stimulates the plants.

• Like Like x 1