1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PetalsonthePavingSlabs, May 21, 2018.

1. PetalsonthePavingSlabs

PetalsonthePavingSlabs Gardener

Environmental Health
    Ratings:
    +108
    Is anyone going to Chelsea this week, or will you be watching it on the tele, or do you not bother with it? I'm currently working in the Falklands with limited internet and TV access, will be able to watch some of it but the four hour time difference doesn't help! Thankfully, my wife is recording it on Sky for when I get home!

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      I have been years ago, but just watch it on TV now.. Far too much of a crush for me now :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • PetalsonthePavingSlabs

Environmental Health
        Ratings:
        +108
        I've never actually been myself, but don't think I would enjoy being rushed round in a crowd. Am quite happy with the tele coverage!

• Agree Agree x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,694
          Tend not to bother watching it, I cant stand "stage managed" gardening they hold plants back, they bring others forward, totally misleading to the general public.

Not a fan of the so called garden, arty farty, designers any way, most make me want to get up and walk away.

I'd not mind looking around some of the nurseries that are exhibiting their plants, but the BBC barely spend much time on them, it's all about those set piece unreal fantasy gardens that would never work in real life.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • PetalsonthePavingSlabs

Environmental Health
            Ratings:
            +108
            I agree with some of that @pete ! Some of the designers are a bit too arty farty for me, and I caught a glimpse of a feature about one of the nurserys on the A to Z of Chelsea last week, its based in Lancashire near me so I'll be looking into visiting when I get back to England next month. Its the plants that should be the star of the show, not what James Wong thinks!

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Jimb0b

Jimb0b Gardener

NHS
              Ratings:
              +199
              Never been, have to say I wouldn’t mind going just once to tick that box that I’ve been and to have a look around.

I always try and get to the Gardeners world at the NEC in a few weeks time

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +46,062
              • PetalsonthePavingSlabs

Environmental Health
                Ratings:
                +108
                oops, I hadn't found that sorry when I started this one!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  I can see what Pete is saying. Gardening has probably been mankinds greatest concern. If I may. Just try and visualize the Chelsea show, that only exhibited plants, trees/shrubs that are of interest during the month of May.
                  Pete I probably share similar thoughts to you but. The aim of the Chelsea show is to bring to the fore as many as possible features and achievements of developing plants sciences and skills etc. OK I often cringe at some garden designs. Imagine most of us, especially living in London. Your garden area amounts to say a plot 20 x 45 feet. No way can you afford to buy building blocks etc, 30 yr old trees in tubs etc etc.

The aim of the RHS according to the Lord Abagvenny whats his name, was to make available to everyone...................gardening.

I do feel soory for the humble gardener who note down all the plants that take his/her fancy. To buy plants at shows, is a no go for me. IMO most folk are buying a label. Bought at Chelsea.

I wonder how many come away with the idea. Yes I'll get one of those and one of them a nd I will have a wonderful border!!!!!!???????

• Like Like x 3
                  • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Yep,
                    Chelsea is artificial. Got to be if we all want to see the best plants available all at the same time. As Mike said, if the plants that only bloomed in May were used there would be very little to see. So "artificial" is good ....technology has helped here too with cold storage, heat treatment etc.

However, I think the judges only allow plants that share the same environment, soil, conditions, etc. to be displayed in one garden so it gives an idea of what plants can be grown at different times of the year.:)

Our gardens are artificial anyway.....we grow plants from all over the world and create shady spots, wet spots, extra free draining spots, etc. to accommodate them and fully expect them to perform superbly :snorky:

• Like Like x 1